Grounding Pole / Post

I have two old Grounding Poles / posts (i think that's what they are called) in my back yard - I was told they are not in use and this appears to be true as I don't see any wires attached to the nut and bolt. How do I remove these things? Should I remove them - if they arn't being used then they are just a safety hazard that I would like to remove.

Thanks

Reply to
Leo

They are probably buried pretty deep, digging them out could be a real pain. Do you have access to a Sawzall? If so, dig about a 6" deep hole around them, wide enough to get an angle and cut them (probably about 18" diameter I'm guessing) and once they're cut off a few inches below finished grade, you can fill in the holes and forget about them.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Hi,, some installs in 'poor grounding' type soils have an interconnecting grounding mat/earth mat connected through the subsoil. IE it wont be visible to the casual observer. I have put these down in the past at depths of up to 6 feet. I would check first that there is an existing "Grounding Pole/s" that IS connected and being used as your safety link to ground. Once you are certain the installation IS grounded then you can be sure of removing the poles that are not connected.

Your dilemma is the reason why all unused electrical equipment should be removed from an installation when upgrading/repairing. Saves a lot of confusion - to say the least.

Typically I have used a simple HiLift jack and a fencing wire 'snotter' to remove these poles. Simi liar to pulling teeth :-)

BTZ

Reply to
bitzah

This is the jack you'll need.