Ground Wires In A Plastic Gang Box & Wire Nut Question ?

Hi,

No big deal in putting one on, but was just curious what the code requirements are, as I'm used to working with metal gang boxes rather than the plastic ones.

For a plastic box:

Regarding the bare ground wires that one twists together in the box, is it required to still put a wire nut on them, even though they are twisted very well together ?

Thanks, B.

Reply to
Robert11

Around here they have to be crimped together; a wirenut is not acceptable. Don't know if that is code everywhere.

Reply to
toller

Here a wirenut is a definate no-no. Using the ground screw in the box to ensure a good bond is what they want. After that you need to use a bare crimp. The plastic boxes we have still have a ground screw that will make contact with whatever fixture, etc you install.

Reply to
Noozer

There is no exception in the code that excludes the Equipment Grounding Conductors (EGCs) from the requirements of 110.14. So, yes you do have to use a crimp sleeve, wire nut, or other listed means to join the EGCs together.

110.14 Electrical Connections. (B) Splices. Conductors shall be spliced or joined with splicing devices identified for the use or by brazing, welding, or soldering with a fusible metal or alloy.

-- Tom H

Reply to
HorneTD

twist & nut here..no crimp but connected to ground in box

Reply to
Rudy

Where is 'here'?

Just curious.

tom

Reply to
The Real Tom

Your plastic boxes have ground screws? Do you have a url to the manufacturer's page, so I can see a picture?

thank you,

tom

Reply to
The Real Tom