Ground Wire Laying On Dirt

Page 2 of 2

zxcvbob wrote:

Sorry for the confustion. YES, it does end up on a clamp on a water pipe.
I don't know enough about this stuff to tell you the gauge. He had a huge spool of green grounding wire and it is not flimsy at all. Does the green coating count as "conduit" as you termed it? In any event, is laying a ground wire such as this directly on dirt considered acceptable?
Some people have misinterpreted what he's done. He is attempting to ground an ungrounded outlet. He's not intending to ground your electric service. Regardless, his work was sloppy and incorrect by current NEC

John Ross wrote:

A substantial copper wire in direct contact with the dirt is OK. The water pipe that he connected to is probably part of the grounding electrode system (it's the water main, right?), so that's OK. The main problem I see with this is the wire is not protected from someone cutting it with a shovel if they dig there.
Bob