Ground Union????

We got a propane heater the other day. The installation instructions call for a "ground union" between the incoming on/off valve and the heater connection. What's a "ground union" and what happens if I don't use one?
JC
J.C. wrote:

I might be totally wrong with this but I believe a ground union is a connector that is grounded to allow static electricity to dischage safely. I believe this is only used on fixed natural gas or the big propane tanks.
If you Google > "ground union" propane < there are a bunch of pdf files explaining what they are .
Like all gas things I assume if something goes wrong you get a fire and massive explosion :)
J.C. wrote:

That should read "ground joint union".
Look closely at a black iron (malleable) pipe union and you'll see an embedded ring of copper or brass which is carefully ground and polished to make a leak-tight seal between the union halves.
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?skuF6343
Jim

Thanks to both of you. And you're correct, it is "Ground Joint Union".
JC

A google search turned up this discussion: http://www.plbg.com/forum/read.php?1,276139
hth,
tom @ www.FreeCreditReportAdvice.com