Ground rod question

A few years ago, toll takers began getting shocks from drivers because new tires on some cars allowed the cars to build a static charge. One solution was to drag a grounding strip.

That would ground the car. Depending on the upholstery material and his shoe soles, the driver may get a shock when he gets out, either opening or closing the door. A static charge can build between two objects when they are insulated from each other, even for a moment.

The driver can probably discharge himself painlessly by touching the glass.

Reply to
J Burns

Back in the 40's/50's/60's it was common to see grounding straps on the back of vehicles dragging on the ground. I guess it was to dissipate static on AM band radio.

Reply to
A. Baum

I used to see straps in fuel trucks. In the 1960s I was warned not to touch the tires of a large aircraft because there were sharp wires sticking out. I guess a 707 sitting in a dry breeze could accumulate quite a charge.

Reply to
J Burns

wrote

I did. They specify a grounding rod, but they don't know if a short rod works well or not. Lots of smart people here though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski