Ground bees

Page 2 of 2
I'd like to second the others...if the bees aren't bothering you, and it doesn't sound like they are very agressive, then leave them alone. They are probably busy pollinating all the plants in your neighborhood. Take a look at this web page...sounds like they might be digger bees, anthophorids. http://nature.berkeley.edu/urbanbeegardens/research_regional.html .
If they were yellow jackets, and aggresive, they are easy to get rid of without saturating the ground with chemicals that will eventually get into the water supply. I've done it many times.
jc

A real simple way to get rid of ground dwelling bees/wasps is to just invert a glass bowl over the nest entrance. There's usually only one entrance, and if the bees can see sunlight they dont bother to dig another one. they just keep bumping into this "invisible force field" that they cant figure out. After about a week, there's this ring of dead bugs around the base of the bowl and the nest is gone. So if there's room up against the foundation to fit the bowl over the hole, try it.
-dickm
wait till drk, pour a couple quarts of gasoline in the holes then cover the holes with dirt use a gallon if you want... fumes will kill them.this has never failed to work for me.lucas

Final solution for me was Sevin dust. I found an old turkey baster laying around. Filled it about 1/2 way then stuck the tube into the nest hole and delivered the product. No activity after 48 hours.

I agree with the others, leave them alone if they're bumblebees. Bumblebees are very very mellow. Unless of course the nest is in a place it shouldnt be.
Yellow Jackets however, are a whole different matter. The simplest way to get rid of Yellow Jackets (it'd probably work for Bumblebees too) is to put a glass bowl or jar over the entrance hole to the nest. The bees can see sunlight coming through the bowl so they think everything is fine and they never try to dig a new entrance. It has to be pretty sealed to the ground, dont want any exits under the bowl. After about a week, they're all dead.
-dickm
This is real simple and real cheap to remedy. First, if they are bees, leave them alone as they're docile and beneficial. If they are wasps, such as yellow jackets, approach the nest opening at night, place a clear plastic bowl over the opening, pressed down tightly to the ground and place a weight on it to keep it down. As long as the wasps can see daylight, they just try to fly through the plastic and make no attempts to dig around or under it. In a few days they will all starve and die.

lay a stick pointing to the hole to mark it and wait till night,,, then pour a quart of gasoline into the hole.lucas

I'm a layperson, but unless they are a pest to you and your family, they help the trees and flowers.
I had a yellow jacket nest right outside my door, and I found much success with a injecting an insecticidal power.
tom @ www.freecreditreportadvice.com
Just Joshin wrote:

I had a wasp nest outside my front door a few years ago. I left it there to discourage solicitors, and it worked pretty well.
BZ wrote:

Sad part is they could of intentionally stuck their finger on the nest and got stung and probably be on the winning side of a lawsuit since you knew it was there.
Lar
on 8/26/2007 9:47 PM Lar said the following:

He didn't say it had wasps in it.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Lar wrote:

That would be a tough one for them to win because they were not invited.
Not a lawyer, Bob
Lar wrote:

Then I'd buy their product, somehow manage to get it stuck in my ear, and sue them right back. ;-)
My favorite way is to take a high speed fan (sometimes called a muffin fan) and place it right next to the hole. As they come out or in they get sucked into the fan and chopped to pieces. Only run it during the day. In two or 3 three days the nest is empty. Gotta watch out for pets though.,,,,maybe the inverted bowl is better
Otherwise the pest people will tell you to get a powdered insecticide (sevin or Drione) and puff it down the holes. Like pollen, the powder will stick to their legs and get dragged deeper into the nest where it is ingested.
Liquid sprays usually just get the entrance and miss the main hive.

Jim wrote:

When I was 12, me and a friend attacked a huge wasp nest with a CO2 fire extinguisher. It didn't kill them off, but it was really fun for about 15 seconds and we didn't get stung as much as you would think.
A few nights later we tried hitting it with bottle rockets. That didn't work either. Even when we hit close to the nest, the bottle rocket just bounced off before exploding.
So I would recommend either finding a Plan C, or making sure you have more than one fire extinguisher.