Grommets as drain holes in canvas awning?

Page 2 of 2
Square Peg wrote:

Hi, No matter how well you install grommet, it'll compromise the integrity of canvas. Even it may shorten the life of canvas. Just set one end of awning little lower than the other side to let the water run off. We campers do that with our trailer or motor home awnings. Just common sense thing.

See my reply to Bob F. All too often, common sense is neither.

You're really an ungrateful, almost nasty guy. You've given crap to two or three people already, you don't apologize when you misunderstand someone who was trying to help you. Instead you insult him. Are you like this in person too?
Square Peg wrote:

Having done some sailing, and knowing nothing about retractable awnings, I would worry more about wind than rain. 200# is a lot of water to hold. I did a google search and found a rain sensor for retractable, here: http://europeanawnings.com/rainsensor.htm
Is the installer still around? Can it be motorized, or change arms so it has more pitch if you will be away?

Well, wind is also a problem.

Great idea. I've sent them an email. It looks like I might be able to get all three sensors for about $600.

I contacted the original installer. He said I shouldn't extend it when it rains. (duh)
In

Another solution you might try is to get a couple pieces of 1" or 3/4"PVC and cut a notch in each end to fit over the frame at the house and the frame at the outer edge. Cut the PVC slightly longer so that when you put it in it bows the awning upward, which would make the water shed off and not puddle in the middle. Because the tension should hold them in place, you could easily remove them when retracting the awning

Thanks for that...it may not help the OP, but I'll use it. :)

Why not eliminate the real cause of the problem?
Check with a camping supply company or similar and get a canvas waterproofing product. If the canvas does not get absorb water and sag it will not hold puddles of water.
Charlie