Grill Corrosion? or what

I bought a Charbroil grill about two years ago one of there inferred models Series 580. My question I cant find the answer two on all the grill plates & cooking surface I seem to get a green residue it really doesn=92t look like corrosion. I have a pic on photo bucket, the white colored stuff it=92s actually light green to almost fluorescent green is what I=92m getting the pic is the bottom side of the grill and the bottom of one of the flame covers. I will get this same residue on the top off the grill also. It dose seem the longer the grill sits idol the problem is worse it also cleans off very easy. I have cleaned the gills with alcohol. The gills are low grade stainless . Anyway just trying to find out what it might be. The grill works really well I just converted to natural gas, but I still have the old Weber

Sac Dave

I've been using cooking oil and not cleaning as well leaving some grease on the grill seems to help. I=92ve never seen this before we don=92t live by a nuclear power plant so I=92ve ruled that out.

Reply to
Sac Dave

I've been using cooking oil and not cleaning as well leaving some grease on the grill seems to help. I?ve never seen this before we don?t live by a nuclear power plant so I?ve ruled that out.

The picture really looks like a dry spot to me, with a little surface oxidation. That can come actually from a little acid rain, some spillage of something acetic, or it could even be some ash that has been left. Like I say, I would simply brush on some oil to keep further oxidation to a minimum, and hope that when the grill gets hot, the oil will act like a sealer, much like sealing cast iron pans with lard in the old days. It is really hard to figure out what caused this, but is an easy fix, and you want to do something before it gets below the surface, as that is when full fledged rust will set in.

I clean the grills at my vacation rentals about every three months. I take them apart, and wire brush them, and put 409 degreaser on there and let it set, then power wash. Then I let it air dry for a few hours. At that time, I have spots that look exactly like yours, and I just brush on some cooking oil, and let it get good and hot for about half an hour. Sometimes I put the ceramic coated grills in the dishwasher for one cycle.

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Steve B