Grey Wallboard Compound

I was going to do a patch up job, but when i mixed some stored compound it turned a Grey color and has a smell to it. How long does compound usually last before it spoils, what can be done to lengthen its self life?

Some of the binders in drywall mud are food for microorganisms, like starch + yeast. A non setting dry compound should have a very long shelf life, years even. Ready mix types, though, will 'ferment' unless you keep them really cold. I f you have your own private beer fridge in the shop, that will work. Otherwise, just buy smaller batches and discard leftovers. The stuff is so cheap it isn't all that painful to toss out a fractin of pound or so. HTH
Joe

goes moldy, mildewy rather fast, some brands less fast, not at all happy iwth lightweight stuff in blue and white buckets