Green wire on Dryer?

I moved my Kenmore natural gas dryer a few feet back, and noticed a green wire, connected to a grounding pipe, hanging from the wall.
The end had been, may have been just hanging inside the dryer, not connecting to anything, but I am not sure.
The dryer is connected to a standard 3 prong power outlet, and the green off of the power cord *IS* connected to the dryer frame via an external nut. -- This "extra" green wire that I'm concerned about was definately not connected to the external grounding screw.
So .. anyone know what this "extra" grounding wire is all about? Should I attach it to the grounding screw on the exterior of the dryer? Or was there somewhere inside the dryer that it WAS connected to, but is no longer? This extra wire could have been from a previous dryer that was there. Any harm in attaching TWO grounding wires to the external screw?
Again, the dryer power cord has a ground, and is connected. So I got that going for me.
Thanks in advance.
Duncan Tuna wrote:

green
green off

nut. --

Should I

was there

longer? This

harm
that
Hi,
Kinda sounds like the green wire was a ground wire left over from an older/other dryer or washer. If your outlet is a 3 prong and the ground is attached ok you shouldn't have to worry about the old ground, remove it.
On 24 Apr 2005 14:37:20 -0700, "Appliance Repair Aid"

The new US Electrical Code "standard" for dryer connections is "4 wire" not "3 wire". If you have an older installation with only 3 wires (2 hots and a neutral), you are permitted to be "grandfathered" by using a 3 hole receptacle and an approved 3 wire cord set.
If it is new construction, you must install a 4 hole receptacle with proper wiring (2 hots, neutral, and ground). The ground must NOT be connected to the neutral at the dryer.
Beachcomber
Beachcomber wrote:

"wire"
Duncan Tuna wrote:

green
Except the OP has a gas dryer, not an electric one.
Sounds to me like it was from a previous machine. As long as your outlet and power cord are grounded you are fine