Green substance around electric outlet holes ... What could it be ?

Of the electric outlets in my house, a few have a green substance that appears around the plug holes. The prongs on the plugs I insert in them gets this green substance on them. It is rather greasy or more like ink when I wipe it off. What would this substance be and what can I do about it ?
= Paul
Paul J. Dudley wrote:

An oxidation of the copper terminals I'd guess. Not much you can do other than wipe it off. Oh - keep the humidity low too.
--

dadiOH
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 17:56:45 -0400, dadiOH wrote:

Thanks for the input. I do remember there being a couple of roof leaks at one time, but my landlord did repair the roof. And of course there is humidity in abundance here in NC. I just want to know that the stuff is harmless where it won't cause short circuits or any other fire dangers.
= Paul
Paul J. Dudley wrote:

Well, it obviously isn't a _good_ thing, or every outlet would have some. :)
Point it out to the landlord, and ask that they be replaced. A new outlet is only a couple of bucks.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement