green stuff coming out of copper piping connectors?

The connector above my water heater is dripping what looks like green/white stuff around one of the connectors...
What is it? It looks kind of chemicalish, definitely does not look like water. Will it eat away the pipe? What do I do?
The connectors on the cold water pipe also looks a little green, but it does not leak at all. The water heater is about 15 years old..
thanks.
Raymond
snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

Copper sulfate...you've got a weep that isn't large enough (yet) to show dampness...it will, eventually.
What to do...either repair it now, or wait until you have a larger leak. (You can pay me now, or you can pay me later). :)

get an expert to assess your situation, it could be poison, check out the data on copper pipes and "green stuff" at these links:
http://www.brita.com.au/why_filter_water/copper2
http://www.crinet.com/copper.htm
http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/stories/684.asp
http://www.hhs.state.ne.us/puh/enh/pbcuwatr.htm
http://www.watertiger.net/resources/list_contaminants.htm

So are you recommending everyone pull out their copper pipes? That green copper oxidation is normal but shouldn't be leaking from the pipes....just curious since you think it is poisonous.....take care, Ross

you appear to have a problem with comprehension (see below)
i recommend precisely what i wrote "get an expert to assess your situation"

you have no basis for your statement, as you have not seen the " green/white stuff " in question, indicative of someone who offers opinions based on nothing, making you a person to avoid

nowhere did i say it is poisonous, i said "it could be poison"
due to your obvious problem with comprehension, coupled with your ability to turn a keyboard into a time machine...
PLONK!

learn to read

Gosh....be nice here....if you open up any copper pipe it is green....since when is copper sulfate poison or poisonous since you draw a distinction... Insulting will not make your original post correct but if it makes you feel better .... more power to you...hmmm...Plonk....that's a trolls thing...so have a nice day effi
Ross,
Efie is a space cadet.
--

Roger Shoaf

Without Efie pointing us in the right direction, we'd all be dead in a hundred years or so.
it seems like effi is pretty much terrified of everything. he needs a hobby, i think.
bill

have you ever seen the skits on mad-tv called "debbie downer"?
Bill

That was my observation and hey...copper sulfate isn't poison or poisonous (since I guess he has a distinction there) unless you are an invertabrate....so are we to conclude that effi is a slug...I know...low, blow, troll...but what the heck....he will never see it since I have been PLONKED.....yeah right!...take care, Ross

Replace the connectors. You also might want to check your anode and flush any sediment. For a how to check out: http://waterheaterrescue.com /
A lot of good how to info.
--

Roger Shoaf