Green liquid from AC electrical plug

The AC plug on an older TV is beginning to leak a green liquid from both prongs. Does anyone know what this could be? Is there any cause for alarm that this may be the beginning stage of it shorting?

Sacred blood of Mother Mary the Vulcan?
On 8/30/2008 12:32 PM WDS spake thus:

That's the electricity (commonly known as "juice") you got leaking there, good buddy. You need to get a couple of Johnson gaskets to seal it.
--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: \'Elect me president, and I

How do you know it is from the plug and not from something inside the wall that is leaking down onto the outlet??
WDS wrote:

If there's liquid coming out it's not coming from the plug--something is either leaking on it from above or leaking into the receptacle from behind the wall. Either way find out where it's coming from. In addition to fixing the leak you'll likely need to replace the plug, the outlet, and possibly some of the wiring.
--John
replying to J. Clarke, George Tveden wrote: If your wall, outlet or appliance is stained with a blue goo or "Smurf Juice", and it seems to be coming from the electrical cord... The cord is rotten. This is a common problem with older wiring. There is liquid plastic added to the pvc insulation to turn it from rigid pvc (pipe pvc) into flexible pvc for wiring. If it's old or badly made it will rot and the liquid plastic oozes out everywhere. This chemicaly reacts with the copper conductor and forms nasty green plastic+copper goo. Since this is a cord that will be moved, definately replace it before it rots away and falls off.

Liquid of any type <===> Electricity plugs/outlets ---- yea I'd say cause for alarm. Remove power source until you figure out what it is. Higher level shock or fire hazard.
I would thing liquid discovered around any household electricity would cause alarm even to those with no knowledge of electricity.
Green is usually the color of when copper corrodes. So, if there is a liquid getting on copper, it must be picking up the corrosion before showing itself.
I also thought along that line about copper corrosion being green. There is nothing wrong with the outlet. The green liquid is definitely coming out of both prongs on the plug only when current is passing through it. Apparently, the copper wires in the plug are corroding. This is a 24 year old, 10" color set that has been sitting in a closet for years. Still has a great picture.
Thanks for being the only poster that doesn't think he is a comedian!

replying to Red Green, George Tveden wrote: If your outlet or wall is stained with a blue goo or "Smurf Juice", and it seems to be coming from the electrical cord... The cord is rotten. This is a common problem with older wiring. There is liquid plastic added to the pvc insulation to turn it from rigid pvc (pipe pvc) into flexible pvc for wiring. If it's old or badly made it will rot and the liquid plastic oozes out everywhere. This chemicaly reacts with the copper conductor and forms nasty green plastic+copper goo. Since this is a cord that will be moved, definately replace it before it rots away and falls off.
-- The AC plug on an older TV is beginning to leak a green liquid from both -- prongs. Does anyone know what this could be? Is there any cause for alarm -- that this may be the beginning stage of it shorting?
It can't be a short since you only have 2 prongs. If the hot wire were shorted, it would leak black and if the neutral were shorted, it would leak white.
A short will only leak green if there is a ground wire. Since you don't have a ground wire at the plug, it can't be a short to ground.
OK, so what else would make it leak green?
You said it was an older TV. Is it a color TV or B&W?
If it's color, I'll bet the picture is looking a bit reddish these days since you're losing green out the ass errr, I mean *back* - end. My guess is that the heat sink for the picture tube has a leaky drain. Currently, there is little that can be done in this situatio. I would resist the urge to cap it. That will just a induce a backup.
If it's B&W, and you have a color TV that you watch more often, I'd say it was green with envy and it's just showing it's true colors. You better give it some quality time or it'll get so angry you'll be seeing red. What a mess that will make.

Well if I have any TV questions I sure know who to ping on them. You really know your shit, errrr. mean backsides.
On 8/30/2008 12:32 PM WDS spake thus:

Score for this thread so far: jokester 5, troll-ees 0.
It's a sensor probe from an alternate universe. You need to soak the plug in a bucket of Clorox bleach, call a priest, and move to New Orleans within the next 12 hours. Those green plugs will crawl up your nose while you are sleeping, and take over your brain. The military has people like you at area 51 in New Mexico, which is top secret. Enough to say, it's not pretty.
OTOH, you could wipe it off with a paper towel, and not worry about it.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

If it's green you GOTTA call Ghostbusters
--
Tekkie