Green Glue replaces adhesive

Am I correct in thinking that if I use Green Glue between two sheets it also acts as an adhesive and that I should not use the conventional adhesive.

Thanks,

Sam

Reply to
Sam Takoy

What is green glue and what kind of sheets, bedsheets or sheetrock or Homasote or ???????

Reply to
hrhofmann

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

From everything I have read and researched about Green Glue, yes, you just use the Green Glue as the only adhesive. It has soundproofing properties. I assume that you mean between 2 sheet of drywall or other material that you want to attach together and you want to create some soundproofing in the process.

The

website has videos to show how to use it.

Reply to
Jay-T

Oops, my mistake. The

website doesn't seem to have any videos.

I saw them on YouTube. Go to

and type "Green Glue" into the search bar and lots of "how to" videos come up showing how use the product.

Reply to
Jay-T

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 23:37:59 -0600, IGot2P wrote Re Re: Green Glue replaces adhesive:

Looks like a scam.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

Critique, not a put-down, as I am interested in such products:

At the risk of raining on anyone's parade, I don't find much to recommend that yet unless you happen to be the one selling it. The basic tenet is maintaining resiliency of the materials in the transmission path plus added external, non-glue items. I have to suspect that using GE Silicon I or II for instance would likely meet or even likely exceed the stated results in the tests and it also acts as a glue, and which contained absolutely no methods or scopes (e.g. placement of sensors, etc.). In addition to that, a microphone isn't the right equipment; a dBm calibrated sound meter however of proper specs would be indicative of something. There seems to be no hint of what materials it consists of, voc, cure times before application, cleanup, toxicity or any of the other things one would expect with such a material. If the information is there, it's well hidden although I didn't spend hours running around the site looking for what should be obviously visible and readily accessible but wasn't.

The one very important thing they did do right was to give a street address and URL, phone and facsimile, so if I truly wanted to learn more I probably could. And I always appreciate seeing things like " "

" target="_blank"> " of course. They do appear to believe in their product but there are a few coding errors, nothing serious.

I'm not saying the product is useless, nor that Silicone is for sure an equivalent/better albeit less expensive choice, because adhesive strength may vary greatly, but I am saying I think a lot of relevant information is missing in that and other areas. Although the site is written at a layman's level of expertise, on the other hand it does nothing to help the inexperienced know what a deciBel is, never even mentions dBm, reference controls or any other type of serious data management related to sound pressure. Then there is the fact that there is no data at all beyond the 5 kHz frequency and after resonant low frequencies, high frequencies are the hardest to mechanically filter out in some cases. Singing and several annoyances can occur above the 5 KHz point and IMO also needs to be considered in the type of designs they discuss.

My background and experience, FWIW which isn't a lot, includes the design and construction of sound rooms for electronic organs in test at overal sound pressures in excess of 100 dBm, the thershold of pain for the average human ear.

Just my 2 ¢; it's an interesting area of science. Since it's apparently a new site I've marked it for a visit per month to see if it improves any with time, which is entirely possible. If it happens to be your site, perhaps these words will have been of some help to you. Besides the spam flames you'll also likely receive, that is.

Twayne

Reply to
news.eternal-september.org

It's not my website and I don't know who the Green Glue people are.

You suggested maybe just using Silicone I or Silicone II. I don't think they are adhesives -- I think they are 100% silicone caulk, but have very little adhesive quality. If I thought that Silicone I or II had good adhesive qualities I would be using it for a project I have recently thought about doing.

I found the Green Glue website and YouTube videos when I was recently looking into the idea of attaching sheets of drywall to a party wall between two houses to try to reduce the transmission of sound between the two dwelling units. I haven't tried it, and it is expensive -- about 5 times the cost of 100% silicone caulk (I or II).

I only posted what I did in response to the OP's question which was the following:

"Am I correct in thinking that if I use Green Glue between two sheets it also acts as an adhesive and that I should not use the conventional adhesive."

Reply to
Jay-T

they have a LOT of adhesive qualities. sign people sometimes use them to stick up exterior signs. i used some to mount some glass art on aluminium standoffs. the glass panels weigh about 6 lbs each, mounted on 2"x3" standoffs screwed to the wall over my fireplace.

the trick is to not use a solid layer of silicone, but to leave air gaps. press together, and don't touch or move the joint for at least 24 hours.

Reply to
charlie

Also remember that all glass aquariums are made with nothing but glass and RTV quality silicone sealer/caulk.

Reply to
Doug Brown

Yeah, go ahead and use RTV silicone sealer in an aquarium. Then figure out why all your fish are dead.

The silicone used for aquariums is SPECIALLY FORMULATED for that use.

Reply to
salty

I've built a lot of aquariums using GE clear silicone. Nothing special about that and no, the fish didn't die.

Reply to
Ron

And I've built over 100 aquaria using either an RTV silicone, GE or whatever I could find. No fish deaths attributable to the sealer.

Reply to
Doug Brown

not really. the silicones that should not be used are the ones that have anti-mildew agents added. one shouldn't use bath&tub caulk for that reason. the normal ge silicone II is fine unless it is marked to contain an algacide.

Reply to
charlie