Green Copper

We have a whirlpool in our basement and the copper is getting covered with a green,semi-powdery coating. I have tried several cleaners and even electrical cleaner, but this stuff is stubbornly staying in place. Anybody know of a way to clean this off without scraping? Thanks.

Mike D.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

You're going to have to polish it off. I'm assuming what you're describing is actually just oxidized copper.

nate

Reply to
N8N

You didn't specify WHICH copper was turning green, so I'll assume you mean the pipes leading to the whirlpool. Here's an explanation of the green color:

"Copper exposed to water, oxygen, and CO2 in the air form a complex mixture of oxides and carbonates, referred to as "patina". The presence of acids accelerates the process."Basically, it's copper's version of rust. No need to obsess about it. But, copper wasn't the best choice for the pipes which are close to the whirlpool. PVC (plastic) would've been better.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Is it the stuff that surface copper turns into to give it that classic patina found, for example, on the Statue of Liberty or is it algae?

Reply to
HeyBub

Not algae, but patina. These are the main water lines in which the individual water lines are run from. The individual lines are grey poly, much like the newer PEX.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Nowhere near the whirlpool. They are in the next room.

No need to be obsessed about it, but makes it difficult to sell the house for a good price. Grey poly is running to the whirlpool. These are in the next room and are the main lines running up to a manifold to run individual poly lines to each sink/faucet/etc.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

I mentioned "adjacent" because any of the factors can accelerate the oxidation. If the area around the pipes is damp at all, you're going to get the green stuff. Has anyone looked at the house and actually commented on it? Customer? Realtor? If yes, get to a hardware store and pick up one of the paste-type products made for cleaning the green away. But, if you don't find the cause, it's going to return.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I use to 'polish' copper fixtures, till I was told it was wrong. If something is a show piece, it's ok, you have to take the good with the bad. However, if not, then removing the oxide layer exposes fresh copper to oxerdize. With each polishing, a layer of metal is lost.

Now this is what was told to me, I'm no metalist.

later,

tom @

Tom The Great

If you want the copper to stay bright , you need a good copper polish and then laquer it.

You can get a clearcoat in a spray can that will last quite a while.

I dont know if a sacrificial anode would be an option.

Reply to
marks542004

If it affects the price of the house, then you don't want to sell to that buyer.

I would worry more about the gray (you British?) poly running to the whirlpool making the house difficult to sell. But if you think gray is superior, paint the damn things gray!

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Realtor and potential buyers have all commented on it. It is hard NOT to comment on such an obvious and unusual attribute (unusual for plumbing and in such large quantity, i.e. solid on all the cold supply and minor coloring on the hot). I have a potential buyer we are negoting with right now, but he wants to take out the whirlpool and wants it replaced with copper. The whirlpool is a strong selling point of the house and best option for them is for me to replace it with CPVC.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

I would only expect a large amount of corrosion on the copper pipe if there was a current running through it. I mean, if its just surface crap, take a brass brush and rub it off, then scuff with a brillo pad. If it formed fairly quickly, then I would expect a current or other similar problem.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Salt and vinegar will make it shine, at least for awhile.

Reply to
Phisherman

Okay, then. You have three practical alternatives:

  1. Leave it alone.
  2. Polish the pipes, then coat with lacquer to preserve the copper look.
  3. Paint the pipes.
Reply to
HeyBub

So, replace it with PVC. Do you stand to make a decent profit on this house? Would a couple of hours of a plumber's time put a major dent in the profit?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

That is what I would like to do, but the buyer we are negotiating with right now wants copper and says he wants to remove the whirlpool. The problem is that the deal is on a 72 hour clause. If we come to acceptable terms then the house still remains on the market. If we get another buyer who is ready to make a firm offer with a set closing date the first buyer has 72 hours to commit to the purchase, otherwise it goes to the second buyer with an acceptable offer. The first buyer is the only one interested in the house without the whirlpool. Everyone else has commented positively on the indoor whirlpool. e did this on another house and the people with the 72 hour clause gave up the house. Also, there would be NO plumber's time. It is all my time.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Tried that with minimal results.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Detracts buyers.

Trying to do that, but cannot get at many areas (corners, valves, etc.). I need something to soak or spray on the pipes to clean them up.

On top of chalky green stuff? Will also attract negative attention with buyers.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

That leaves an extremely small market.

?????????????????????????????????????????????? Why would thermoplastic plumbing make it hard to sell? It is the preferred material for such an application! You obviously know nothign about plumbing!

Reply to
Mike Dobony

In that case, I'd agree to replace the copper with new pipe, since that's cheap and you can do it yourself. Tell him "no" to removing the whirlpool. He's being silly. Even if you replace the pipes, the new ones will be green again at some point in the future and he'll realize he asked for the wrong thing. He should've asked his inspector to figure out WHY they're turning green.

Of course, only you and your realtor know what the local house market is like. Is waiting for a second offer realistic, or aren't you getting many lookers?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom