Green Barhtub

there anyway to paint this thing and if so what type of paint could I use.

solution

There are epoxy paints that are designed for this sort of application and are available through the web or even home depot. Surface prep is absolutely essential and will cause early failure if not done properly. I have had limited success with epoxy paints and for a heavily used bathtub I would think twice about doing my own bathtub. Further, it will be evident upon close inspection that the tub was painted with this type of system. Old cast iron tubs can be re-enameled if you really like the tub or has been in the family for years, but this requires removal of the tub, and in your case you would probably just go with a replacement.

Reply to
ceraboy

I have just moved into an 50 old house that has a green bathtub. Is there anyway to paint this thing and if so what type of paint could I use.

If I can't paint it, other than replacing is there a short term solution

Thanks

Reply to
Jeff Bulach

If I can't paint it, other than replacing is there a short term solution

Thanks

As Ceraboy said:

You are better off replacing the tub. You will never be happy with a DIY paint job.

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

There are paints available. If you do a really good job, especially with the prep work, it should look OK. Most people are going to have a difficult time doing it that good and the results are likely to look less than ideal.

I suggest looking up tub refinishers in the telephone book. They have the knowledge, tools and products to do a better job than you are likely to be able to do. The cost is not likely to be much more than doing it yourself the results are likely to be better and much longer lasting. They also should finish the job much faster and with a lot less disruption that you could do.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I hired a pro, it took them 1 day to prep it. If you have any rust forget it it will fail. Prep requires alot of chemicals and acid etching. For temporary DIY, for a 4-7 yr job get a pro, or get a new tub. Mine has a bit of rust at the drain, it is failing after 3 yrs.

Reply to
m Ransley

I am in the same situation, I plan on replacing the tub. I might try the paint job approach first with my paint gun & compressor setup using the brush on stuff from HD, but maybe not. A neighbor showed me his after repainting and it looked like new, but the he was a professional painter for 15 years and had the luxury of doing in in an unoccupied house. If it's only going to cost something like $1100 to replace the tub and I do the rest of the bathroom myself (toilet, vanity, surround) than I will probably go that way because if a paint job only last a few years if you are gentile than I'm not interested in paint/refinish. If I'm going t bother doing all that work I want it to last.

Reply to
scott_z500