"Great Stuff" Ripoff

Page 1 of 2

Went to Lowes today today to buy a couple of cans of foam to fix some drafts. When I got home, I noticed that the 2 new cans were smaller than the one can I had laying around. The old one was 16oz, the new are 12oz.
If they need to raise the price 33%, fine. Oil prices are up. I understand. But at least be up front about it. This seems a little "tricky" to me.
That's a ploy that's been going on all over for some time now. Check the last 'half gallon' of ice cream you bought. its probably 1.75 quarters not 2 quarts.
The local store continues to run ads that say 'Half Gallon" and I told the manager he better tell the marketing department to cut it out before someone takes them to court over it!

Here in Canada, paint used to be sold in Imperial gallons, the standard gallon used in Canada before metric took over. An imperial gallon was 160 fluid ounces compared to the US gallon of 132 fluid ounces.
When everything was converted to metric the paint companies switched to cans of 4 litres, much smaller than the previous cans and the price went up.
Now they all sell paint in US gallon cans despite the fact that they are supposed to sell it in metric measurements. They get around it by adding in small print that the can contains 3.95 litres, and the price went up.
You can't win.

I'd be delighted if the "gallon" cans of paint sold here in the US contained 3.95 liters... one US gallon is 3.784 liters.
--
Regards,

Colored or tint base? I know the tint base allows room for the added tint to bring it up to a full gallon.
At least a pound can of coffee is still 13 ounces.

"Edwin Pawlowski" < snipped-for-privacy@snet.net> wrote in message
news:HUOuh.38140$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr21.news.prodigy.net...
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I add enough water to bring it up to 16 ounces. Makes a swell drink.

That would be a small gallon.
Nick

No, actually that would be a standard U.S. liquid gallon.
--
Regards,
FYI: A US gallon is 128 fluid oz.

"EXT" < snipped-for-privacy@reply.in.this.group> wrote in message

Yeah, but that's not very useful for comparing the size of gallons because the USA uses a different fluid oz than the rest of the world.
If you just look at the number of ounces in a gallon (128 vs. 160), you would think that a US gallon is 4/5 the size of a Canadian/Imperial gallon. But the actual ratio is almost exactly 5/6.
I spent many hours in my youth mixing photo chemicals from Kodak with mixing directions in US ounces and gallons using bottles and measuring tools marked in Imperial measure. We just converted everything to metric to simplify the task.
    Dave

And candy bars get smaller and smaller until there is one big price increase. I think they think people wouldn't like it if the price of candy went up frequently.

There's a disclaimer in all those flyers and ads that might be hard to overcome. "Not responsible for errors...." Still, if you have notified them and kept a record of their being notified....

Buck Turgidson wrote:

What's new. When I was a kid in the 50's they were doing it with the candy bars. They still do.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 14:16:04 -0500, Buck Turgidson wrote:

the smaller size is 12oz.
Nothing for everybody to get worked up about.

you're just trying to spoil the fun...lol

Funny how small a "pound" of coffee is these days, too.
What's the dang difference? I'll pay what they want for a pound of coffee. Now with all these different prices and weights makes it almost impossible to understand unless they have the tags that say 45.6 cents per ounce, etc. Other than that, you need to be a mathematician or take a calculator with you to find out which costs what per unit of weight.
And what's up with the 750 ml size of liquor bottles?
Steve

Alcohol in the US used to be sold in 1/5 of a gallon bottles known as "fifths". Duh. 750ml is a rough metric equivilent.

Almost exact metric equivalent, actually: 1/5 gallon = 25.6 ounces; 750 ml 25.4 ounces.
--
Regards,

They sell 12 _and_ 16 oz cans.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.lonestar.org
My two one pound boxes of Russell Stovers chocolates I get for Christmas each year were only 12 oz this year. Commie bastards still charged $7.99!
--
Steve Barker