"Great Stuff" Ripoff

Went to Lowes today today to buy a couple of cans of foam to fix some drafts. When I got home, I noticed that the 2 new cans were smaller than the one can I had laying around. The old one was 16oz, the new are 12oz.

If they need to raise the price 33%, fine. Oil prices are up. I understand. But at least be up front about it. This seems a little "tricky" to me.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

That's a ploy that's been going on all over for some time now. Check the last 'half gallon' of ice cream you bought. its probably 1.75 quarters not 2 quarts.

The local store continues to run ads that say 'Half Gallon" and I told the manager he better tell the marketing department to cut it out before someone takes them to court over it!

Reply to
Mark

What's new. When I was a kid in the 50's they were doing it with the candy bars. They still do.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Here in Canada, paint used to be sold in Imperial gallons, the standard gallon used in Canada before metric took over. An imperial gallon was 160 fluid ounces compared to the US gallon of 132 fluid ounces.

When everything was converted to metric the paint companies switched to cans of 4 litres, much smaller than the previous cans and the price went up.

Now they all sell paint in US gallon cans despite the fact that they are supposed to sell it in metric measurements. They get around it by adding in small print that the can contains 3.95 litres, and the price went up.

You can't win.

Reply to
EXT

I'd be delighted if the "gallon" cans of paint sold here in the US contained

3.95 liters... one US gallon is 3.784 liters.
Reply to
Doug Miller

Colored or tint base? I know the tint base allows room for the added tint to bring it up to a full gallon.

At least a pound can of coffee is still 13 ounces.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That would be a small gallon.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam
Reply to
readandpostrosie

Not a corporate conspiracy. Great Stuff has always come in two sizes, and the smaller size is 12oz.

Nothing for everybody to get worked up about.

Reply to
Karl S

Funny how small a "pound" of coffee is these days, too.

What's the dang difference? I'll pay what they want for a pound of coffee. Now with all these different prices and weights makes it almost impossible to understand unless they have the tags that say 45.6 cents per ounce, etc. Other than that, you need to be a mathematician or take a calculator with you to find out which costs what per unit of weight.

And what's up with the 750 ml size of liquor bottles?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

They sell 12 _and_ 16 oz cans.

Reply to
Larry

Alcohol in the US used to be sold in 1/5 of a gallon bottles known as "fifths". Duh. 750ml is a rough metric equivilent.

Reply to
Rick Blaine

No, actually that would be a standard U.S. liquid gallon.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Almost exact metric equivalent, actually: 1/5 gallon = 25.6 ounces; 750 ml =

25.4 ounces.
Reply to
Doug Miller

My two one pound boxes of Russell Stovers chocolates I get for Christmas each year were only 12 oz this year. Commie bastards still charged $7.99!

Reply to
Steve Barker

FYI: A US gallon is 128 fluid oz.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Similarly, I've been buying my personal checking account checks from "Checks In The Mail" for at least 15 years. There were always five books of checks per box, with 40 checks in ech book.

The last order I got had five books per box but with only 30 checks per book.

I called up and bitched about there being no notice given that the number of checks per box had decreased by 25% since my previous order. The customer service guy gave me a $10.00 refund on the two boxes I'd bought. A check for $10 from them arrived "in the mail" about a week later.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

you're just trying to spoil the fun...lol

Reply to
digitalmaster

I add enough water to bring it up to 16 ounces. Makes a swell drink.

Reply to
HeyBub

And candy bars get smaller and smaller until there is one big price increase. I think they think people wouldn't like it if the price of candy went up frequently.

There's a disclaimer in all those flyers and ads that might be hard to overcome. "Not responsible for errors...." Still, if you have notified them and kept a record of their being notified....

Reply to
mm