Great Stuff, How much is in a can (2023 Update)

Can someone tell me how many sq ft can you get from a 16oz can of big gap filler after it cures.

Thanks Rich

Reply to
madmun

It's cubic inches, not square feet, and one can will give you just about enough to seal around a door with a one-inch gap. I would say that is about 1200 cubic inches, or 2/3 of a cubic foot.

Note that there are different versions. Some expand more than others, on purpose. The minimally-expanding type is for applications where things might move, like a window or door frame.

Reply to
SteveB

40,000 sq ft if you spread it thin enough.
Reply to
salty

A few sq ft less than one usually needs for any specific job. Be sure to have an extra can on hand.

Reply to
franz fripplfrappl

Using basic math volume formulas and the detail that a 16 ounce can of Great Stuff will make a 1/2" diameter bead, by 232' long, the volume of foam in that bead is ~0.31 cubic feet or an equivalent block of ~12" x12" x 4".

Reply to
Foam User

replying to Foam User, ME wrote: My kind of reply. Thanks

Reply to
ME

replying to Foam User, Mathfixer wrote: I think that math is wrong. .5 inch diameter x 3.14 x 232 feet x 12 inches per foot = 4,371 cubic inches

4,371 cubic inches / 1,728 cubic inches per cubic foot = about 2.5 cubic feet.

But you usually get a lot less where you want it, and a bunch all over and in the can.

Also it uses moisture from the air to cure, so big blobs don't expand as much.

Reply to
Mathfixer

replying to Foam User, Mathfixer wrote: I think that math is wrong. .5 inch diameter x 3.14 x 232 feet x 12 inches per foot = 4,371 cubic inches

4,371 cubic inches / 1,728 cubic inches per cubic foot = about 2.5 cubic feet.

But you usually get a lot less where you want it, and a bunch all over and in the can.

Also it uses moisture from the air to cure, so big blobs don't expand as much.

Reply to
Mathfixer

replying to salty, Murdock Wilson, Jr. wrote: That would be linear feet, not square feet.

Reply to
Murdock Wilson, Jr.

replying to madmun, Daniel wrote: There is 231 cubic inches in 1 gallon. I would guess that a 16 oz can could produce one gallon of expanded foam. Be careful with math convertions regarding surfaces, volumes, cubic inches in cubic feet, get them mixed up and you could end up with over 1700 cubic inches in one cubic foot. I'm no mathematician but I did once order 27 cubic yards of concrete by the teaspoon.lol

Reply to
Daniel

replying to madmun, Daniel wrote: Just for fun I just emptied a full 16 oz can of great stuff and found it would make approx. 2 gallons which is approximately 3456 cubic mass inches or 462 cubic liquid inches. Was this helpful?

Reply to
Daniel

no he was right. (( (0.5/12)^2)/4)*3.1416*232 = 0.316 cuft

Reply to
EngineeringNOLA

For any given job you need slightly more than one can.

That's one of those rules that ought to have a name.

Then you throw away the rest because there's no good way to clean out the straw and as far as I know you can't buy another.

Reply to
TimR

Actually My company does have a name for that. The POO rule. Purchase Over Optimal. Just like everything else order 15-20% more than needed, and hope like hell you can use the excess on the next job or it becomes fodder for the dump

Reply to
AccidentalAquarist

I know this is a old post, but 1200 cubic inches is 8 1/3 cubic feet. 1200/144= 8.3333 The company says it will fill 6 36"x60" windows .375 (3/8ths) x 1"

Reply to
BillofOhio.

Directions say 6 windows 36"x60 0.375" x 1" Now the math.

12x36=432, 432x1x.375 = 162 cu in. 162/144 = 1.125 12x60=720 , 720x1x.375 = 270 cu in. 270/144 = 1.875 1.125+1.875 = 3 Approximately 3 cu. Ft. per can
Reply to
BillofOhio.

I see you failed geometry. A cubic foot is 12 x 12 x 12. Use your calculator to finish this and you will see your error.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Divide by another 12: 1 CUBIC ft --> 12^3 ==> 12x12x12 = 1728, not 144

Reply to
dpb

You took 1200 and divided by 144 which is inches in a square foot not a cubic foot.

1 foot = 12 inches Volume L x W x H In feet 1 x 1 x 1 = 1 cubic foot In inches 12 x 12 x 12 = 1728 cubic inches (144 x 12) 1 cubic foot = 1728 cubic inches 1200/1728= 0.6944 cubic feet
Reply to
DG Hamblin

No your both wrong. He answered 2.5 ft^2. Your answer is correct. 0.3166ft^2, so your wrong to say he was right.

Reply to
jgrimm