Great customer service: Gardner Bender

Another in the Giving Credit Where Credit Is Due series:

Just got a package today. No, not an Xmas present, but it might as well be. It was from Gardner Bender, the electrical tool company.

Called them last week to tell them about my GB automatic wire stripper that didn't work correctly. It's a very nice tool, and it does strip wire nicely, but mine doesn't snap back the way it's supposed to, and even after taking it apart and reassembling, no joy. So I called their toll-free #, explained that I bought the tool a couple of years ago (after getting one that I had to return to the store right away because it didn't work properly), and asked if they had any repair sheets on it on-line or some such.

Anyhow, long story short, the guy took my name and address and said "We'll send you a replacement". That was it. No more questions, no grilling. Just "expect it in about a week".

Sure enough, here it is. But get this: they didn't just send me a replacement. They sent *two*. Brand-new. Both working perfectly.

So I gotta say something good about them here. Even though GB is now, like most American companies, just a shell that ships product made in China, still, they've got the customer service part *down*. Which is quite refreshing to see, and deserves bringing to people's attention.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I suppose I'll buy more Gardner Bender stuff! :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I've been finding that customer service is really the focus of most businesses for....the past two or three years? I can't complain about many, although cheap products remain a problem. Just purchased a junk Oster "rice cooker"...more like a burnt mush maker...at Target. I was on my way to daughter's home for t-giving, and the store is midway, so not easy to return it. Purchased a different model locally, which works as it should. I emailed Target because I consider the first one dangerous - no time or temp control, just "automatic", and it boiled over. It is a puny little thing, and whatever number of "cups" of capacity marked on the box is misleading, as the "cup" measure provided is not a standard 8 oz. cup. Target tried hard, and will pass my complaint along to their folks who buy appliances.

When people aren't spending lavishly, being more careful, then customer service becomes more important.

Reply to
norminn

Or maybe it's really big wire

krw

I think it's at the bottom of page 121. Looks like some high quality tools.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

I see all sorts of G-B tools of the sizes needed for residential wiring in the local Big Boxen. I have the impression that their tools are somewhat lower quality than Klein, Greenlee, Channellock, etc. but that is just an impression with not a lot of real world experience to back it up. they definitely do sell lots of stuff.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I'll have to take notice next time. I don't think I have anything from Greenlee.

Reply to
Tony Miklos