Greasing garage door

Hello, My garage door is squeaking in the tracks. I tried lithium grease, but it did not work. It collects too much dust. What do you guys use ?? Thanks.
JackRabbit wrote:

Ear plugs... :)
If it's riding in the track and not rolling, the bearings may be shot. Otherwise, perhaps the alignment is out so one side is rubbing somewhere.
Whatever it is, grease/lube on the tracks themselves isn't the answer.
JackRabbit wrote:

I don't think you are going to fix it with any form of lube. Better wheels and tracks seem to be the answer. (rubber wheels)
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia\'s Muire duit
More often the noise is not where wheels contact the track. More often, the noise is rusting ball bearings. Any use of lithium grease must be in the bearings - not on the wheel surface. This is also true of the wheel that carries cable from counter weight spin to bottom of door. This wheel's bearings also require a good grease such as lithium.
Also balancing the counterweight springs so that the door does not 'skew' will help. Be careful. Those springs can contain a surprisingly large amount of force.
JackRabbit wrote:

Personally, I've moved away from greese. I use motor oil/light machinery oil. I put a drop or two into each wheel/axle area, and wipe down the whole track with an oily rag.
Greeses were collecting dirt, and not going where they were suppose to.
imho,
tom
My husband empties all his used condoms and wipes the semen on the tracks. Works great and no more squeaks !!!
Silly Sally

Hi-Tek Lube http://www.garagedoorsupply.com/hi-tek.html
w_tom writes:

A skewed door is not caused by any imbalance, nor corrected by "balancing".

Not "can", but "absolutely do":
http://www.truetex.com/garage.htm
Richard J Kinch wrote:

Well, if it has tension springs on each side and they're not matched or tensioned, evenly, "balancing" them so they match force will certainly go a long way....
Duane Bozarth writes:

"Tension" spring? Do you mean extension? Or torsion? Most doors use torsion springs.
Others have tried to fix a skewed garage door by only greasing the rails. Inspection is required to first determine if those two springs are properly balanced. If the springs are not balanced, then the door will (obviously) skew within the tracks and make more noise.
Oiling bearings will trap dirt just like grease. Getting grease on ball bearings is not as easy as applying oil. But then there is good reason why ball bearings (especially on the wheel high above the dirt that supports a 90 degree cable turn) are so often greased - not just oiled.
Richard J Kinch wrote:

JackRabbit wrote:

Used syringe to lube the bearings, not the roller? Tony
Richard J Kinch wrote:

I don't know about "most"....I'd grant "many" but have no data on fraction of total installed base. All the ones I currently have are <not> torsion, although have had previously...
Which means the first thing the Original Poster should do before trying to solve the problem with grease is check for a skewed garage door - as was stated in a very first reply. After all these posts even about torsion bars, nothing useful was posted - other than the OP should check for a skewed (unbalanced) door. And perform the inspection with caution.
Duane Bozarth wrote:

w_tom writes:

Not necessarily. Depends on the type of spring.