Grass / Weeds growing between patio blocks

Last summer I put in a small patio, using 16" pre-cast blocks. I put sand under the blocks, and it's remained pretty level. But due to it's location, I have had muddy water run across it after heavy rain. I'm presently working on installing some drainage pipes for rain water.

But the reason for posting this is because there is grass and weeds growing between the blocks, and before I got down on my knees and starting pulling them, it was starting to look like a lawn, not a patio. I'm guessing the mud added some soil to the cracks, which stimulated growth of vegetation.

Is there some chemical made to stop this?

I did try pouring some gasoline in the cracks, because I had some gas that got water in it, but that was just a quart or so. I have not noticed any new growth in those cracks (with the gas), but thats probably not the safest method, and I doubt it will last long.

Any tips????

Thanks

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

i use gasoline to kill grass and weeds growing in cracks in my front sidewalk. mostly because when it snows in the winter the weeds make shoeviling difficult.

it lasts a long time. i have done this for my entire life

you can use round up. its perhaps better for the environmet, and will certinally also kill the vegation

Reply to
bob haller

On Thu, 06 Aug 2015 05:34:53 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote in

Works great.

Reply to
CRNG

Wife found one of these a couple of weeks ago when putting shopping cart in remote container and there it sat in an another supposedly empty cart. Wondered what it cost.

I've been using it on weeds growing in cracks and areas where nothing is to grow. Takes a few days to see results but as you say, works great.

Reply to
Frank

Roundup works to kill what's there, but won't prevent more from immediately starting to germinate. Also, if you use more than a minimal amount of Roundup, you can buy the generic glyphosate chemical from online sources for ~$75 for 2.5 gallons of 48% concentrate. That's enough to make 250 gallons, it works out to 30 cents a gallon, compared to $10 to $20 for a gallon of readymade at HD.

The other choice is one of the extended duration products that not only kills the weeds, but keeps new ones from germinating for most of the season.

Reply to
trader_4

Laticrete Paver LinkLocking Sand - Grey Color

Secure your pavers in place with Paver Link Locking Sand from Laticrete. Specially designed for wide joints, this revolutionary brush-in joint filler is seven times stronger than traditional polymeric sand. To use, simply open the pail, disperse the product and brush into the joints to get a safe and strong bond. Since the locking sand sets hard when exposed to air, it requires no water, skilled labor, tools or cleanup.

Grey Color 7 times stronger than polymeric sand For joints ¼" or wider Air Cured - No watering required No washout Helps prevent weed growth and joint erosion

***

GST International Lock 'N Seal Concrete Paver, Sealer and Joint Sand Stabilizer - 5 gal.

The GST International Lock 'N Seal Concrete Paver, Sealer and Joint Sand Stabilizer is designed specifically as a penetrating sealer for interlocking paving stone installations. It gives superior protection against stains while providing a flexible, water-resistant bond that inhibits potential water damage to the joints and paver system. Sealing the space between the pavers with Lock 'N Seal reduces the permeability of the sand joint, which inhibits weed growth and ant mines. Lock 'N Seal enhances, brightens and beautifies the natural beauty and color of the pavers while improving durability and resistance to fading. This product can be applied immediately after paver installation. It will resist most stains up to several days, but oils and solvents should be wiped up immediately following a spill. This product is VOC , EPA and OSHA compliant, water-based and UV-resistant, making it the ultimate concrete interlocking paver sealer and joint sand stabilizer.

Bonds and locks down joint sand Repels oil, grease and radiator rust stains Inhibits weeds and grass between pavers Resistant to UV and acid rain Recoatable and fast drying Enhances color without darkening Eases sweeping and cleaning For use on shopping centers, seaport installations and interlocking concrete pavers Also for use on unglazed tiles such as Saltillo, paving stones, masonry brick and natural stone

Moe DeLoughan

Is there some reason why you cannot get down on yer knees and pull the weeds?

IMO, there are waaaaay too many ppl shortcutting to toxic chemicals to solve their problems in an easy fashion. Kills me that ppl berate big-ag for using too many chemicals, then uses the same toxins at home.

BTW, I have the same problem. Plus, I'm an ancient geezer who deplores weeding. Buy some knee pads and gloves and get some exercise. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Pulling them disturbs the dirt that's there, which just makes it easier for more weeds to grow. Also, many times with pulling, you just break off the top of the weed, the rest stays and continues to grow.

Apparently you don't deplore it as much as you do using a chemical that's safe, widely used and very effective if used properly. I just used glyphosate on my patio, beds, etc.

Reply to
trader_4

"Safe"? Now there's a term I've never heard applied to glyphosate.

Is that "safe" as in Agent Orange "safe" or PCB "safe" or DDT "safe"?

nb

Reply to
notbob

Of course you haven't because you only look at one side and have your mind made up regardless of the facts.

Reply to
trader_4

I notice you did not address the other part of my post. What is an indisputable "fact", is, Monsanto has been lying to, --let's not forget poisoning!-- us, for decades.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Uh, it's "you can drink it" safe.

Never heard the term applied to glycophosphate? You don't get around much.

Reply to
Dan Espen

spoken like a true liberal

Reply to
ChairMan

I use boiling water. A friend gave me her old electric teakettle, I keep it in the garage and fill it from the outside tap when I take action against the weeds in cracks. If you've got a surplus tank sprayer, just fill that with boiling water and you won't even have to lean over to nail the weeds.

Yes, more weeds will eventually sprout, but it's no big deal. I only need to do it three or four times a season.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

You are quoting who? Monsanto?

I get around enough to know when I'm being lied to.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I can drink orange juice, but that doesn't mean it is safe to pour in my lawn.

Can't quote the source, but on TV one time I saw a guy claim it was drink it safe. The TV guy reached under the table and pulled out a spray bottle of roundup he said he bought earlier that day. Invited the guy to drink it, the guy refused. Wisely so, I think.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There is special sand you use to fill the gap between blocks. It settle like a hard rock preventing weed growth. I bought and used this stuff from HD when I prepared my front patio.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

No. Monsanto had nothing to do with establishing the Lethal Dose. That's done by guys wearing lab coats at the EPA:

Laboratory Testing: Before pesticides are registered by the U.S. EPA, they must undergo laboratory testing for short-term (acute) and long-term (chronic) health effects. Laboratory animals are purposely given high enough doses to cause toxic effects. These tests help scientists judge how these chemicals might affect humans, domestic animals, and wildlife in cases of overexposure.

Try something with some information in it instead of "theater".

Why would I lie? I could be mistaken, but I have no motive to lie.

Reply to
Dan Espen

More than once, a neighbor bought that stuff for me to apply along her fences and driveway cracks. I was always glad when I ran out because I found it a hassle.

Enough store-brand glyphosate to make 20 gallons costs less than the above item. I mix it in a 1-gallon Chapin 20000. The sprayers HD sells may be similar; some may even be the same thing under different labels.

To measure, I use a sort of plastic test tube with a scoop on the end, sold in a healthcare aisle for measuring medicine. It's marked in ml. I just have to remember, 15ml = 1 tablespoon, 30ml = 1 ounce.

I'll often mix just a quart. The sprayer will spray down to the last ounce. The wand extends 15" beyond my hand, which makes it easier to apply precisely if I'm walking along treating hundreds of feet. The pattern is infinitely adjustable from a broad mist to a stream. For real precision, it can spray at a low pressure, where the herbicide trickles out.

I won't mix a batch for weeds in cracks, but it's easy to get them on the way by when I mix a quart for other problems.

It takes several days to see results from glyphosate. HD has some Spectracide concentrate that works in hours.

Reply to
J Burns

The e-pee-a is a wholly-owned subsidiary of mon-scam-toe.

If you think there is anyone in the government protecting you from the toxic sludge bigPharma or bigChem makes, I got a bridge to sell you.

Now run along and take the statins that your allopathic drug pusher prescribed...if you can still remember where you put them.

Reply to
Andy