grass trimmer

Here's a hint. Learn to speak english so you can be understood!

Reply to
Paintedcow

Hi all

I would like to buy a grass trimmer. I used grass trimmer to cut the grass of my small garden around (25f x 10f). I have electrical one but the motor got burn. I bought it around $30 and lasted for 3 years. It is cheap no nam e trimmer. Now I want to buy a decent one which I hope can last longer. Wha t brand name I should buy? Which one is better Electrical with wire or the one on battery, cordless, or the one works on gas.

Any hint would be very much appreciated and as always thank you in advance.

leza wang

You got a reading comprehension problem ? I had no problem at all understanding what she asked .

Leza - in a small area like yours I'd go with an electric , battery unit should be fine . I have a bigger area , prefer a gas unit .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Thanks a lot Terry. Much appreciated.

Reply to
leza wang

I've had good luck with Black & Decker with an extension cord. I've got

3 outlets around the yard so the cord is manageable. Cordless would be slightly more convenient and I could do the trimming with one charge, but the initial cost is higher and batteries don't last forever.

The dual line model easily cuts weeds and I don't need the greater power and noise of a gas model.

Reply to
rbowman

Presumably English is your native language which you use to ask stupid questions. I'll take a real question in understandable if not completely grammatical English any day.

Reply to
rbowman

Leza,

For that small an area, I would definitely go with a corded electric trimmer. Black and Decker are an ok brand. You might find some recommendations in Consumers Reports, I haven't looked/checked.

Reply to
hrhofmann

leza,

Look on the local Craigslist. These things are cheap.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

+1 on all that, including the reading comprehension. For a small area electric is fine, and avoids the problems of having mixed gas, gas going bad, carb getting gummed up from infrequent use, etc.
Reply to
trader_4

Small area, easy to reach, I prefer a corded unit. Battery goes bad and it can cost more to replace it than buy a new unit.

Reply to
Frank

Others have mentioned batteries. I just bought a Worx that came with two batteries. About $100 at Walmart. Some other types of tools are being sold without batteries at maybe Home Depot. Check that. I've never owned a trimmer so can't comment on how good mine is compared to others.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Hi Leza,

Gas trimmers work best if you have large areas to clear or need to cut weeds often. The downsides are having to mix the fuel and oil, having to store fuel and use it before it goes bad, basic maintenance (spark plugs, etc.), and the smoke/noise when using them. When we bought our property, I bought a gas trimmer to clear the weeds and brush. It would run all day as long as I had fuel, and I could cover hundreds of feet out in the wild clearing trails and whatnot. Gas trimmers are probably midrange priced, but you can find lots of used trimmers on Craigslist at low prices.

For small areas close to your house, a corded electric trimmer is fine. They're inexpensive, lightweight, and have practically no maintenance. The downside is you have to plug it in and drag the cord around. So you're limited by the range of your extension cord. I used a corded electric trimmer when we lived in an apartment. It was small, lightweight, inexpensive, and more than enough for the tiny yard we had at the time.

Cordless battery powered trimmers are a nice compromise, but they're also the most expensive. They'll cover a decent size area and you aren't tethered to an electrical outlet. You also don't need to mix and store fuel. In recent years, I only used the gas trimmer once or twice each year. So I sold my old gas trimmer on Craigslist, and bought a 56V EGO trimmer from Home Depot (online). It has just as much power as my gas trimmer, runs about 40-60 minutes per charge (which is plenty for what I need now), and there's zero maintenance other than winding the trimmer string.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

I would like to buy a grass trimmer. I used grass trimmer to cut the grass of my small garden around (25f x 10f). I have electrical one but the motor got burn. I bought it around $30 and lasted for 3 years. It is cheap no name trimmer. Now I want to buy a decent one which I hope can last longer. What brand name I should buy? Which one is better Electrical with wire or the one on battery, cordless, or the one works on gas.

Any hint would be very much appreciated and as always thank you in advance.

I bought a Black & Decker corded string trimmer at Home Depot 20 years ago for around $50 and only started giving trouble a month ago. Bought the closest replacement B&D at Home Depot last week for $50. The only difference I can see is that the RPM is a little less and the current draw is a little more. Works fine, just like the last one. If you reply to this post, I'll find the model numbers for each one.

I also recommend buying the large 5-pound spool of replacement line and winding it yourself. Bought that 20 years ago for $10 and still have more than 1/2 left. They tell you to be sure and wind it one row at a time, which is always best. But I have found the easiest & quickest way is to cut the line first, then just wind it normally, letting it slip through your finders to avoid twisting it. There are fancier ways to do it but this way works for me.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

[...]

Forgot to say -- the same bulk line is a lot cheaper at walmart than HD or Lowes.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

s of my small garden around (25f x 10f). I have electrical one but the moto r got burn. I bought it around $30 and lasted for 3 years. It is cheap no n ame trimmer. Now I want to buy a decent one which I hope can last longer. W hat brand name I should buy? Which one is better Electrical with wire or th e one on battery, cordless, or the one works on gas.

First, reply to Paint and tell him to go pound sand. He has the nerve to ca ll me a troll and then he turns around and insults you. Your post was on-topic , clear and concise. We should be so lucky as to have this ng contain more posts like yours, less like his.

Second, consider this model if $100 is within your budget. I bought one

4-5 years ago and couldn't be happier.

pl=1

Corded units can be had for less money but they may not be as convenient depending on the layout of your yard. We have a chairs around a fire-pit, multiple small flower areas, a picnic table, etc. Dragging a cord around all of these obstacles while is a bit of a pain, so I went cordless.

Good luck!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I had a nice grass trimmer, hedge clipper battery set with 2 batteries bought several years ago. Both batteries went out, manufacturer did not have replacements, and on-line source wanted as much for 2 batteries as I paid for the set. Hated to toss two perfectly good pieces of equipment and now just have corded units.

Reply to
Frank

I agree. They're cheaper than battery, I think, last longer, and you can used the extension cord for lots of things. I have a townhouse end of group with a 100' cord and it goes everywhere. (the lawnmower might get twisted up going around bushes, but the trimmer doesn't have that problem.)

I went to buy a used lawnmower -- Turned out they were in a traffic accident and her husband could barfely walk, so they were hiring someone for the lawn -- and she gave a good priced on a trimmer too, so finally I didn't have one that was too small. Instead it's too big and if I'm not careful it cuts through my wooden fence pickets. If it ever gets my ankle, I'm in trouble. I can check on what size is too big, if you want.

Reply to
Micky

I prefer the corded. My yard isn't big enough to need gas, and gas trimmers can be a pain to get started after the first year.

Getting one that will last is hard. I haven't had any better luck with expensive ones, so I go with cheap and expect them to wear out in a couple or three years. Usually the feed stops working, I've had a motor burn out once.

You can get the kind that extend line when you bump them on the ground, and those that extend line automatically when you stop the cut. I've had better luck with the bump, but I think the trend is to the automatic type.

When the feed wears out, you can get another year out of them by cutting pieces of heavier line, and manually inserting.

I use a corded hedge trimmer too. It has more power than the battery ones, less power than the gas ones. You need a longer extension cord than you think though, because each year it will shorten by 2 or 3 feet, sometimes more.

Reply to
TimR

A lot of it depends on the layout of the area to be maintained. This is definitely not a one-size-fits-all situation.

I have a corded hedge trimmer which works fine for the limited area in which I use it. There is not a lot of dragging the cord around and having it get caught on things.

My trimmer is cordless. I had a gas trimmer for a while, but when it got finicky I gave it to my son and bought a cordless. I need to trim around odd shaped garden areas, a fire pit, a picnic table, benches, a claw foot tub planter, etc. Dragging a cord while navigating around all the obstacles and poking the trimmer into nooks and crannies would be really inconvenient, not to mention dangerous if SWMBO catches me dragging a cord across her flowers. With the freedom of the cordless I can go in, over and around anything I want.

If it was a wide open space with nothing for the cord to get caught on, I can certainly see an inexpensive corded trimmer being a great option. In my situation, it would be a major inconvenience. The $99 I spent on the B&D trimmer 4+ years ago was well worth it. If the battery ever died, I'd probably just buy a new unit. At

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Oren posted for all of us...

That's to roll the DB's down the stairs to store. Soon be featured on ID channel. Lot less expensive than the diggers casket elevators.

Hellva landing...

Reply to
Tekkie®