Grass keeps clogging chute on Snapper 21" pusher

Page 2 of 2

It is a mulching blade but that's what's been on it since the 70's.
muzician21 wrote:

It is a mulching blade but that's what's been on it since the 70's. *****
A blade that is used to bag the grass has a different angle (steeper) which generates the air flow necessary to bag the grass. A mulching blade does not have this. Invest a few bucks in a regular blade if you really want it bag the grass.
Larry

After further consideration, I think I might be wrong about it being the original blade. Today I got a "universal" 21" blade from Home Depot but the center hole isn't wide enough. Think it would make any difference if I reamed out the hole as opposed to finding a Snapper blade that fits? Anything special about Snapper blades?
On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 22:01:57 -0700 (PDT), muzician21

Best to stick with the original manufacturer's blade, if possible, especially if you are having issues.

You wont ream it evenly, it will make it unbalanced and will have to be balanced, but I bet it has a mulch blade, the best. CR has mulch ratings you can compare, I bet your machine rates well so its your conditions making it clog.
muzician21 wrote:

A universal blade will not work on a Snapper. Go to a lawnmower shop and ask for a snapper bagging blade. It's has a higher lift than the std Snapper blade. Take your current blade (the one that fits) with you to compare length and center hole.
--
Art

Any rain recently? Do you cut early or late in the day? Mulch it, its natural fertiliser and mulch, "Slip Plate" works I use it on my snowblower chute.
On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 17:56:30 -0700 (PDT), against all advice,

Spray the chute with WD-40.
--

Don\'t worry about people stealing an idea. If it\'s original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.
muzician21 wrote:

If the machine is the same, three factors besides moisture can cause clogging: The amount of grass you are cutting. The stickiness of the stuff you're cutting. The amount of air the mower is sucking.
Raising the cutting height can help a lot. It lets the machine suck more air while reducing the amount of vegetation being cut.
Cutting more frequently will reduce clogging.
A habit of cutting too low in summer can change a lawn so that clogging becomes a problem. After low cutting, the sun heats the soil more, and that can allow weedy hot-weather grasses to take over. Cutting at 3-5" can keep the soil cool enough for fescue to thrive. Fescue cuts nicely in my experience.
Cutting higher may improve a problem lawn so that it becomes easier to mow each year. A lawn that once caused clogging dry may improve so that it cuts without trouble wet or dry.
E Z Peaces wrote:

(cutting up-hill vs downhill, having a clean bag that allows airflow)
Bend the bag support frame so the back end of the bag is flat or slightly lower with respect to the chute opening.
Problem solved.