grass is always greener...

Bermuda grass.

Reply to
badgolferman

Where you are and whether its full sun or shade are big factors in what type of grass you want to plant. Since you bought bluegrass, I'll assume you're in area with moderate to cold winters. Blue grass is one of the higher maintenance grasses and is suited to a sunny location. It requires more fertilizer and water to keep it looking good. If you're just going to reseed one area, I'd get one of the general purpose mixes that includes several varieties of grass.

Reply to
trader4

*** serious lawn guys may want to go get a barf bag.

Let the grass get a bit higher than normal before you cut it and rake the clippings over the bare spots. The crab grass and other "benevolent" weeds will do the rest.

Reply to
gfretwell

My parents had Zoysia grass in our backyard at the house I grew up in. Extremely low maintenance and very durable which is why they bought it. We always had activities of some sort going on and it never wore out to dirt like a normal lawn. The downside was that it always turned to a light straw color in the winter.

Click here for info:

John Grabowski

Are there still some places where you can hire someone to spray green dye on the Zoysia grass for the winter? (Serious question.)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I sometimes wondered if that could be done. I had no idea that you could hire someone.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Recently had a dumpster removed from our yard after sitting there over a month. The hauler tore a big chuck of the lawn out when he tried to lift/drag it away. Plus, with all the construction-type work I've been doing in the yard, the lawn now has a lot of grassless areas.

It's a small yard with mostly crabgrass. We've always been happy with these hardy weeds. I know it will take ages to fill in if I just leave it barren. So, I bought Scotts Pure Premium, Kentucky Bluegrass from Home Depot to re-seed these areas. Worried that this good seed will need a lot more attention like watering, and fertilizer than I really want to bother with. Anyone recommend a hardier, less attention needing seed?

Reply to
Charlie S.

I agree. Since you did not tell us where you live, I would also suggest being careful not to fertilize it in the hot part of the summer. It just makes it worse in the long run. Don't work too hard.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I can say it does make a difference. The grass in the front of my house is pretty nice and green, but the back is pathetic. I water 3-4 times a week and fertilize 4-5 times a year.

Fertilizer always makes it greed up for 2 weeks, then it fades down again...You may consider laying grass sod as opposed to seed, as sod is pretty darn cheap.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Yes, I live in a place that has cold winters. It is interesting to note, the part of the lawn that gets shade, hardly ever grew any weeds. And, always came up as thick, normal-looking grass. The sunny part is where the weeds grow.

I am going to return the Bluegrass and head to a garden store and try to find a general mix. Seems Home Depot only carries high maintainence seed.

I just cut the lawn today and don't have time this weekend to spread the weed cuttings, like suggested in a previous post. Otherwise, I might have given that suggestion a try.

Also, in response to a previous post; about a month ago, to make my Dad (a very old former farmer) happy he wanted some fertilizer put on the lawn. So, I complied. Don't ask me why. We never use it. Sure enough a good part of the lawn burned under the hot sun. This kind of upset me for I pride myself in having a greener grass than our neighbor who does all sorts of maintenance. I've told him not to cut it so short and only cut a couple times a summer. He won't listen. Now, his lawn looks better. But, I have faith my crab grass and whatever seed I buy will grow back good and strong.

Reply to
Charlie S.

Never really thought about it. I always thought it was expensive.

Reply to
Charlie S.

Great idea... this dumspter area looks like a compacted Sahara... compared to rest of the area. I already filled in the area where he dragged the grass.

Reply to
Charlie S.

Mine is pathetic front and back. I've not had to mow for three weeks now! Yay, no rain forecast either.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Paddlepop