Granite Tile Installation

FYI, granite tile is tough to install well. You're supposed to butt the tiles right together, and the bevel on each edge is only 1/32 of an inch - so the grout line is all of a 16th! Sooo...when you don't lay the tiles in *exactly* the same plane, you get noticeable edges. Very frustrating for me! Thank god the original fast setting mortar I tried set up REALLY fast and made me abort, or I'd have had real troubles even getting the tiling to be "acceptable".

I'm very disappointed in the job I did. More so than the client, thankfully, I guess.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

So, you did finish the job? You said "abort" so it sounded like you didn't finish.

I was wondering if it was possible to install tile with a narrower grout line than the common ~3/8" you see typically. Seems it would make it more attractive and easier for chairs to roll over. I didn't consider the plane issue.

Were you installing on a concrete slab? New construction?

Reply to
hank

You mean, "lippage", right?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I aborted when I first used the epoxy mortar, as it set up way too quick for me.

When done right, it looks good, and you're right about the chairs.

Bathroom remodel, subfloor was "ok". I should have been more careful about checking it for flatness. I also pressed the initial tiles too deep into the mortar, and ended up not having room to play with when it came to making the tiles coplanar.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Yep. JP