Granite slab counters cut too short.

The granite installers cut the granite on both sides of the stove at least an ich too short, so now the gap on the sides of the range are bigger than they were with the old tile counters and I can see down the unfinished sides of the cabinets.
Besides replacing the granite what can they do about that? The can't add on to the granite without adding an ugly seam. What about adding some kind of removeable decorative trim in these gaps on both sides of the stove? I'd hate to delay finishing this for weeks while waiting for new matching granite and having to redo the backsplash. The backplash has already been partially installed. I had them delay grouting the backplash until I'm sure these problems are fixed. If there is no attractive fix to these gaps, the slabs will need to be replaced and the backsplash partially redone.
One of the short slabs is seamed to an L connecting to another slab with the new undermount sink in it. If they replace the short slab, can it be cleanly removed and a new piece rejoined to the connecting granite or will everything, including the other slab and installed sink need to be replaced?

I can't answer questions about construction. However, as a consumer -- and knowing how much granite costs -- I would demand that it be done right before paying anything. In my opinion, it would be better to put up with delay and get a good job than to accept an inferior job just to get it done fast.
MaryL
Demand a new countertop cut properly. Did they take the measurements? If so the fault is thiers and do not accept anything less than a proper job. Why are you even considering settling for a hack job????? If a family or friend is doing job for free thats one thing. Take pictures contact management and firmly demand a new counter. If they refuse to fix it dont sign or pay. If you sign or pay a court may construe you approved of the job.
MaryL wrote:

First and Last wrote:

to shimmy over the stove to one side, closing one gap, then move over the other sides cabinet and top two inches to close the larger gap on that side? Who measured? Them I assume.
No wrote:

they can seam it and it will be nearly invisible, if it was their mistake then your within your rights to demand replacement.
i suggest you let them seam it then if its ok take some off the bill
one option would be to add a strip of wood (to match the cabinets) on either side of the stove to fill the gap. there might be long term wear issues, as the wood will wear a lot faster than the stone, but staining would probably be a bigger issue.......
--JD

Put in a bigger stove?

Well, what's "attractive" varies according to who is looking at it. What kind of price break is the company willing to give you to not tear it out and try again? Can you shove the stove over against one side, and put a grease tray in on the other side? How about a down-draft vent?

Is a top mount or a slide in? Is it stainless ? You might be able to have a trim made of metal? stainless. It would have to look like part of the cook top, that would the tricky part. This would have to be at there cost I would also get a price on the granite. Another option would be a larger cook top ( most are a standard size) And they pay any additional cost. I'll bet they measured the finished edge and forgot to deduct the over hang.
Sacramento Dave wrote:

It's a slide in and and a bigger stove would not work since the edges of the cabinets are still 30". The problem is the granite tops do not go all the way to the edge of the cabinets like they are supposed to. At least an inch too short on both sides of the range. I thought of a solution that may work though. I saw gap-fillers you lay on top of the counters online,
http://www.mileskimball.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemIDT84
but they wouldn't work for me because the top of the slide in stove is a couple inches taller than the tops of the counters. I think they would degrade the appearance of the kitchen anyway and look like an after thought anyway.
What I think would give a much more polished look would be wood trim caps attached to the edges of the granite on either side of the stove stained to match the cabinets. I think that would give a finished look will appears like it was always meant to be that way and yet save the huge hassle and time delay tearing out the granite and starting over would cause. I have white appliances. If they were stainless, maybe chrome caps on the granite edges would look better and accomplish the same goal.

They look like a cover-up for a hack job. Wait, that is what you have!
Not may ways around the real problem. It is gracious of you to try and work with the contractor, but it is unlikely many things will work, aside from a new top. Honest (and costly) mistakes happen. Good luck with the recovery.

If the gap between your cabinets is 30" and the slabs dont go to the the edge of the cabinets, then they royally screwed up. I just had some granite tops in my kitchen. We decided to go with a slide in stove. In either case the old stove and the new slide in are 30" wide. The granite is flush with the sides of the cabinet and the stove top over hangs and covers the space between the stove and the cabinets. We also have about a 4" wide piece that was glued/seamed in at the back of the opening. This allows the slide in stoves rear flangs to slide over it.
Why on earth they would make the slabs short of the cabinet edge would be beyond me. They should do that over. I think a seamed piece would look terrible.
Our tops were around $3800. At that price they'd better be right.
Darrell
Darrell Dorsey wrote:

I want to at least see what wood caps stained to match the cabinets would look like before dealing with the hassle of another tear out over 1 inch gaps. I think they could look good if they are well done. The granite installers can pay for a skilled woodworker to do a custom job if I don't like the way it turns out with the contractor I have working for me know. If I don't like it at all, then I won't go that way. The face of the cabinets are 30 inches apart, but the actual outside "walls" of cabinets on each side of the stove are about 32" apart. The face of the cabinets overhangs the walls and they measured the granite to the cabinet walls instead of to the gap in front. I suppose if the sides of the face of the cabinets could be cut down and a 31-32" wide range could be slid in that space. Do ranges in that size exist?
Why notrequire new countertops that are cut properly. You are the reason contractors can do shoddy work . Many people accept it. I would politely tell them to remove the counter and return with a proper one!!!
First and Last wrote:

Do what I do. Just tell them to take it out and do it right the next time.
If they give you any lip, just say,
"Well, we seem to be at an impass here. I shall contact the State Board of Contractors tomorrow, and file papers with them. They have a mediation service, and I will be happy to do whatever they say."
I only had to say it one time, and the guy changed his attitude in a New York minute, and redid the job.
Steve

But wait, the granite installers were already supposed to do a custom job with your granite, and they screwed it up, so I wouldn't trust them to get a skilled woodworker. Personally, even with the hassle, I would make them replace it with the right size, because I don't think you're ever going to be really happy unless they do. I know I wouldn't, and knowing the gap is there due to shoddy work would make me crazy, but YMMV. Good luck.
Cheri
When our installers delivered the granite countertop, one was cut too small leaving about a 1" gap against the back wall. They admitted their mistake and were back in 3 days with a new one cut correctly.