GRANITE PROBLEM

We recently had a granite countertop installed - unfortunately the island slab had a gouge and 2 scratches. I complained to the installer and they have tried to repair these. The surface of their repair is smooth but I can see the impressions below the surface where the repair was made - the area is dipping & dented but covered by sealer. I complained again and they said they will try to repair - but all I can see is the problem growing in size as a larger indentation is made & then covered again by sealer. Can anyone advise what can be done to solve this problem ??? They have told me they can no longer obtain the silver pearl granite they have supplied and are unwilling to repair the whole top surface as they claim this is too labor intensive. I would be grateful for any help.

Reply to
susan

If it were me, I'd tell them to take the whole countertop and Island granite out and refund your money. Did they charge you for damaged granite? You paid for an undamaged and properly installed granite countertop and island top. If they can't deliver, let them take it out, refund your money and shop elsewhere. I'm sure they'll repair the island to you satisfaction rather than remove the whole thing.

Reply to
JerryL

To repair granite, your only option is to grind/feather out the defect and then polish to match the surface texture. Since the process Always entails removal of material, there will always be a dent when viewed at an angle so the light hits it right.

All they can do is broaden the repair area but if you insist on coming back and finding that worst angle to look at it, you will Always notice it. Adding filler is not an option with Granite, it would have been with Corian and maybe silestone [not sure about that].

Now if they removed too much material or did it unevenly trying to hide the gouge, that's a different problem.

You didn't say how obvious it was but a compromise where they refund a small charge or compensate you with other product would be better than forcing them to rip out the entire job and start from scratch (they gotta make a living too). Can you learn to live with it?

Reply to
PipeDown

Be businesslike. Don't pay. If you already paid, live with it. If they don't replace it, have a lawyer write a nastygram. If not worth a lawyer, then live with it. If they don't fix it after the nastygram, then have the lawyer sue them. If not worth suing, live with it.

Do not pay contractors in advance.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I am so glad I found this newsgroup. I'm having a huge problem with a grout man. He has not returned my calls in the past two days, so I called the bank and put a stop on the check. It's not something I have ever done in the past, but after my experience with the electrician, I've had it. Thankfully, the check had not cleared already, and the bank even waived the $20.00 stop payment fee. Now, I will probably hear from him, and will be glad to repay when it's corrected, but I'm sorry that people push to that point.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

How did the gouge get there installation or was it there? Did the Granite supplier also do the install? When I did our kitchen I went with a supplier that also contracted the installation, cuts out allot of buck passing. I don't no what state your in, But I'm sure There's a state Contractors Board. Check and see if the installer is Licensed. In Ca. you can only charge up $499 for a job if you do not have a license. If they charge more you do not have to pay them. If you used a credit card put a stop payment on it. Go to the suppliers show room and make a stink. But in the long run it's best to try and work out a deal without tempers flying. As for the gouge it's not going to go anywhere.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Thank you for all the responses. The Granite supplier took the island away for the 3rd time to try & repair. I spoke with them yesterday & they have obtained more of the granite & will supply a new top for the island - it's being delivered on Friday. Hopefully this problem has been solved!! Again THANK YOU Susan

Reply to
susan