Granite or Corian?

I'm trying to make a decision as to which type countertop I want installed. Any remarks would be appreciated. Personally I like the granite but my husband doesn't like the seam required. Pat
Patscga wrote:

google groups archive has plenty of opinions on this issue. and opinion is what it comes down to. *imho* lifeless, lack-lustre corian sucks. granite is a thing of beauty. regardless of one seam.
You might look into something like Silestone..It is a solid, granite like substance that is made of quartz or somehting..It feels like Granite, not plasticky like Corian..One benefit to it is that Silestone does not stain and does not require sealing as does granite..I think cost wise it's similar to granite.... John

granite is beautiful,simple soap and water clean up and corian is lifeless and it scorches. I'm doing granite in mine. Jane

I would install corian for the main tops and granite around the cooking area. but then again I like to have the best of both worlds. sorta like having an electric convection oven and a gas cooktop instead of a free standing gas or electric range.
so this way you and your husband are both satisfied at the same time (finally) lol ;)
_\ \ \ | / / / _ ( ' 0 - - 0 ' ) -----ooO----(__)----Ooo----- 3GCPO
3GCPO wrote:

why is that? durability? not even..

how would that be? corian by itself is bad enough but to mix them would look like an abortion..

NO SEAMS and then you can use the granite for preparing food.

ohhhh yahhhhh!

you obviously have never worked with it.

look in the mirror you abortion that lived.
actually it is the norm around here for the wealthy.
stick to plumbing!
get back on your knees under the cabinet.
_\ \ \ | / / / _ ( ' 0 - - 0 ' ) -----ooO----(__)----Ooo----- 3GCPO
I'll wait here while you get a clue

You want something soft and easily scratched/cut? Get Corian or clone.
You want durable? Get granite.
dadiOH

if you want tops that bacteria grows on.....get granite, tile or laminate.
Corian does NOT allow mold spores to grow on it.
Avonite looks great and colors look like granite and no seams.
Have the best of both worlds.
_\ \ \ | / / / _ ( ' 0 - - 0 ' ) -----ooO----(__)----Ooo----- 3GCPO I'll wait here while you decide

And yet you suggest granite for areas of food preparation? Odd...
No matter...I've never had granite but I *have* had my share of tile and (occasionally) laminate and never, EVER had mold grow on it. And I live in central Florida...mildew capital of the world. Before that, it was Hawaii and Veracruz, Mexico...both places (expecially VC) that have more than their share of humidty and, consequently, mold.
Don't know about bacteria (can't see it) but, being impervious to water, I doubt those surfaces are more conducive to them than anything else. Especially if they are cleaned occasionally. ___________________

Acrylic (the binder for the mineral particles) has a built in fungicide does it? ___________________

Never seen an artificial material that really resembles granite. Don't want seams? Use a bigger piece.
dadiOH

I have a sample piece of Avonite and it really does look like granite. In fact, I thought it was until you told me differently. As to getting a larger piece, that won't work because it's an L-shaped counter.
Pat

I guess you don't get out much. or you have seen it .....but didn't realize it.

Absolutely does.

yah o.k. looks like granite yes but I didn't say feels like it.

3GCPO wrote:

pot - kettle - black. time for *you* to get the clue-by-four 'upside your thick ass skull.. nobody wants or needs your inept advice or worthless opinions. but, thank you for dumpin the ascii.. it really sucked.

The most skilled (and probably most expensive) granite installer in this region positioned the seam so that it is practically invisible. You see it only if you know where to look.
-- Don Phillipson Carlsbad Springs (Ottawa, Canada) dphillipson[at]trytel.com

did they use silicone or epoxy? did they use same color or a mix of colors? and how does it feel (rough)?

If you know it is there. wouldn't you know where to look?
oh boy oh boy oh boy