Granite Kitchen Counter Tops

I just purchased a new home with granite kitchen counter tops. How do I protect them so they don't get stained?

Spread a couple of layers of newspaper over them?
Edwin Pawlowski"

Ha-ha.
Check with your installer and see what was used to seal the stone and how often it needs to be re-sealed. There are some products which claim to not require re-sealing but I'm not familiar with the performance.
Properly sealed polished granite won't absorb many stains. Mine (gray-white) have stood up to coffee, tomato, and red wine stains which were allowed to sit up to 48 hours.
I haven't tried beet juice but since I've still got the sink cutout perhaps I should.
Best,
Marc

'511 Impregnator' is what our granite installers said to use. We redid it twice a year. Look for it at a tile/granite shop.