Granite Countertop /\/\/\/ crack /\/\/\/\/\/ ???

Page 1 of 2
We just had granite countertops installed a few months ago and really like the look, feel and personality of real stone countertops. The other day I was rinsing a few things in the sink and on the edge of the sink I felt a slightly rough spot, on the inside of the sink edge towards the bottom of the granite. I looked close and saw a slight crack/chip in the granite, barely noticeable, even to the touch. But as I put a bright light on it I could see a slight fracture line running from the rough spot, up to the top edge of the countertop and extending a few inches towards the front of the countertop. This is barely perceivable except under very close examination so it's probably been there since it was installed. We handle the counter with kit gloves and think this is a fracture that occurred when the sink cutout was cut.
Have been in touch with the company we bought it from and who installed it, and they have been helpful but they are having a tough getting the actual countertop folks to get back with us. So we figured we'd pop out here and see what the general group opinion is. We can see slight imperfections in the stone as it is natural, and that's all this may be. But we don't want it to be a fracture that would spread and grow like a windshield crack, until part of the countertop failed as this is where the sink mounts and not too far from the "splice" in the long counter length. Do not know if they have some epoxy filler that could be used to strengthen this and fill ir, or it it's even necessary.
All opinions welcomed as we paid a pretty penny (or two) for this and don't want to have it fail before it's time.
Thanks!!!

Get some epoxy and force it in the crack, thats all they will do.

Funny.
Another useless piece of info:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/07/25/earlyshow/health/main4292754.shtml
od

Why do you believe the information is useless?

Actually, I'm using this to keep my wife from buying granite. I'm happy with my Formica counters.
Could there really be enough granite in a counter to produce enough radon to be dangerous?
I don't like them because they stain. Also, every house in town has them.
od

Yes, especially if you think about it harder.

So "thinking" produces radon?
You must be radioactive.
od

Case closed. You're an idiot.

Case closed....TROLL.
Have a nice day! :-)

Think harder about how a countertop is used.
Clue: Human anatomy

Close, but no prize yet.
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

Even though she was completely bald.
olddog wrote:

Dangerous quantities of radioactive materials don't occupy a lot of space. Consider that the radioactive materials in a single nuclear bomb are about the size of a grapefruit.

You mean enriched uranium.
That's a pretty big difference. ;-)
od

How are countertops used?
Clue: Human anatomy.
We can do this all day. The longer you take to answer the question, the dumber you look. By the end of the day, the stapler on my desk will be Einstein compared with you.
How are countertops used?
Clue: Human anatomy.

"they stain" not mine and its unsealed. Ive left coffee grounds on it for months under the coffee machine. Now if you said very light colors can be stained.

"they stain" not mine and its unsealed. Ive left coffee grounds on it for months under the coffee machine. Now if you said very light colors can be stained.
-----------------------------------
Yeah....granite comes in lots of colors and texture. Some of the darker and more dense granite are less susceptible to staining. I have granite in my master shower and it's holding up pretty well but I have a sink in the guest bathroom that darkens from the soap. Some of the textures can hide the stains well too.
Over all it's pretty and I'm not too concerned about the radon. It's mostly the price. I think there are better cheaper materials. I've pretty much talked my wife out of granite. Now she's talking about a vacation in Italy. :-(
od
olddog wrote:

In the SF Bay area, granite is by far the cheapest counter top material. It comes in in mass quantities from China, and there are now hundreds of stores selling and installing very inexpensive Chinese granite (often the exact same granite being sold by Home Depot or high-end kitchen and bath remodeling stores for 2x or more the price).
I used granite because it was the cheapest material available, much less than any of the synthetics.
The building supply industry and builders promote granite because it's cheap, just like they promote vinyl windows.

Thanks....I'll check it out again. Last I looked most of the engineered stone and solid surfaces were cheaper here and I liked the look of those better.
FWIW: I'm not going through HD. I need mine "professionally" installed. ;-)
od

Here's my granite countertop tips:
* Do shop around on prices. I ended up paying half the Home Depot price and HD was reasonable compared to some places.
* Check the prices on demolition and haulaway of your old countertop and/or consider doing it yourself. I was quoted prices of between $200 and $2000.
* Select a stone that is darker and non-porus is you're concerned about staining. Apply a good sealant from time to time.
* Select individual slabs that are free from cracks and fissures.
* When it comes to replumbing the sink, do it yourself, and save another chunk of change. Use new drain pipe -- don't bother trying to re-use the old. Unless your existing garbage disposal unit is very new, just replace it.
* Take the opportunity to carry out any minor repairs or retouching on the lower cabinets after the old countertop has been removed and before the new is installed. It's a LOT easier!