Granite Countertop

I have seen an ad for a method to resurface a countertop with some kind of man made granite.

The old top is covered, without dismantling, with what looks like a 1/4 inch thick granite. I assume the stuff is poured because it curves to form the front edge.

Anybody has experience about durability or any other problem?

Thanks

MG

Reply to
MG

I never heard of what your describing. I had SileStone installed in my kitchen but they removed the old countertop and put the new top on.

Reply to
Edward Grant

it's not poured. it's real granite, just very thin sheets.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

standard solid granite? usually $45-75/sqft. granite tiles? $7-20/sqft. both

  • costs for edging, which can be -20/lin ft.

you can pay more too, depending upon which color you chose and installation problems.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

You're talking about this stuff, I assume:

Appears to be granite dust / chips in an epoxy or polyester binder. I would think it would be fairly durable - but have no 1st hand exp.

The cost may not be significantly less than a new granite counter, though. No demo required, tho - which can be a plus.

Reply to
Ranieri

what is a rough price for the granite counters?

Reply to
Me

According to Ranieri :

Zodiaq (Dupont), Silestone and a few other materials are 90% quartz/10% epoxy resin composites which are used as a granite substitute. Produced as large slabs, you get local dealers to cut/install the stuff for you.

Cheaper? No. Roughly same price range as natural granite, but there's more colours, and the stuff _really_ doesn't need any maintenance. (Granite needs to be [re]sealed periodically, this stuff doesn't)

Your link sounds like something very similar, but oriented towards a different application.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

We took a look at that "Granite Transformations" stuff when they opened up a place in town. While it might be nice alternative to something like Corian (the epoxy binder is going to give it a lot of the same heat-related downsides as Corian, without Corian's "buff out scratches" upside), it comes out a distant second in the esthetics department -- the stuff has very little "depth" to it.

Reply to
Andy Hill