Granite counters

In a few weeks we will be the happy ( I hope) owners of $4000 worth of granite countertops, and since this material is new to me I was wondering if there are any real world tips on this stuff, what to do or not to do to it etc. Not just the info from the stone company, I can read that, I am looking for info from people who have had it for a while and learned the tricks.
Some things I was thinking about were; Anything special I should do while installing the cabinets that the counters will rest on? ( the stone will be installed by the dealer, so I don't have to worry about that). How often and the best chemicals to treat it with? Cleaning? How tough is it..does it chip or scratch? Will heat hurt it? Hot pots? Food stains..anything to really avoid?
Just wondering
--

Mikey S.
http://www.mike721.com

the care for the granite depends upon how porous the Granite is that depends upon the color of the granite!
this site has some good info
http://www.keidel.com/design/select/tops-matl-granite.htm#maint1
Best think to do is take a scrap piece there will usually be a piece where they cut out the sink or from the back splash. Make sure you get a scrap from the install. Put some lemon juice on it and see if it stains.
In general I believe darker colors are less porous than lighter.
Use 511 Impregnator to seal the granite once a year and you should be fine.
Cleaning is pretty simple you can use dishwashing liquid with a scotch pad. 409 works fine as does glass cleaner.
You can see my countertops at
http://groups.msn.com/AlaskaCruiseCrystalHarmony/kitchen.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID@8
Wayne

Mikey S. wrote:

True granite (geologically) is a very specific type of rock...the primarily pink-red stuff with white and some black. What is sold as "granite" for counter tops would be better called "granitic", as they range from granodiorite to labradorite. All of them have similar mineral compositions but in varying degrees; consequently, they vary in scratch resistance.
Minerals include corundum (hardest), quartz (hard), various feldspars (softer)...even calcite (soft). You won't be scratching the corundum components (unless you use a diamond) but the calcite is easily scratched. Even the quartz can be scratched.
So yes, it can be scratched. And yes, it can easily chip (especially on an edge) as it is very brittle. However, it isn't *easily* scratched or chipped...it's about as tough as you can get. _______________________

Heat shouldn't hurt it. Lots of heat followed by lots of cold could crack it.
________________________

Avoid acidic things and ask your supplier how to treat/care for it.
-- dadiOH _____________________________
Use the stuff call "Granite Gold". It's the best granite cleaner/polish I've ever seen.

It should come with a layer of sealer on it. Our first guy said to use "51 Impregnator" which is waterbased, once a year. Now in the second house, the new guy says he doesnt like the waterbased stuff. He s going to give us some of what he uses.
I wouldnt use 409 or anything with ammonia, including Windex to clean it. That can remove the sealer.
Our new guy says to use a little liquid dishsoap and water. I've had good results with Glass Plus (no ammonia) and paper towels.
Yea, ours was 4Grand too but SWMBO likes it and thats what counts
I think you will find some cheap granite here on this site. I already visited this site and found some of the beautiful designs. http://www.stoneagelimited.com /
i think this will be a good advice for you. Avoid sitting acidic foods and drinks on granite for long periods. see some good designs related to stones http://www.stoneagelimited.com/landcaping
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Another email address for those annoying pop-ups who want the viewer to subscribe, vote, or take a survey.
snipped-for-privacy@stoneage.co.in
Yep. India.
From them you can buy a granite trivet for $1.98 and pay $247.36 in shipping.
On Saturday, June 5, 2004 11:07:51 PM UTC-7, Mikey S. wrote:

1.Is your kitchen sink going to be under mount or over mount? In other words, is the rim of the sink going to be under the counter or over it? If the rim of the sink is going to be under the counter YOU MUST make sure that the contractor applies good quality clear silicone sealer or caulk on the top of the rim of the sink BEFORE placing the countertop over it. I cannot emphasize this enough. If you do not do this you will be having problems as long as you live there. 2. If there is going to be a seam on the countertop make sure that the seam is NOT where the kitchen sink is. Have them install a different sink if you have to but DO NOT let them put the seam where the sink is.
On Saturday, June 5, 2004 11:07:51 PM UTC-7, Mikey S. wrote:

Can you come back and tell us how your countertop installation went?