Grain sack sewing needle?

Well... carpet thread seems like an obvious solution.

Reply to
Goedjn

Thanks...but I actually didn't know there WAS such a thing. I tried to Google the term, but no luck. Carpet stores around here seem to just sell the carpet, no repair/maintenance items. Where to look?

Reply to
aspasia

I'd try looking for sailmakers tools. Here's one such example:

Malcolm Hoar

iated.

Fabric stores. If they don't call it "carpet thread" try "heavyweight nylon upholstery thread". and if that fails, just tell them what you want it for, and they'll find you something appropriate.

--Goedjn

Reply to
Goedjn

clipped

When we were looking at buying area rugs, we checked with Home Depot to see if they could bind the edges on a chunk of carpet. They said they provide the service, but contract it out. A decent carpet store should be able to sew on a binding for you. If you can't find one, try upholstery shop. You could probably stitch the frayed end with a decent sewing machine, but stitching on the binding is probably too much .. might be doable. I have seen curved upholstery needles at Joann or Hancock fabrics. There is heavy duty sewing thread at regular fabric stores, and it should be strong enough to keep a binding in place. My sewing machine sews six layers of denim without any trouble using a #16 or #18 needle.

Reply to
Norminn