Grain sack sewing needle?

Page 1 of 2

Anyone know of a source? I tried Google and found lots of references but no sources. Did find one set on Ebay.
Harry K

Would leather working type needles work possibly?
Dean
-

Ask for a carpet needle.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
Harry K wrote:

Unless you're seeking a particular machine needle to fit a particular grain sack sewing machine any large sewing needle will work for sewing heavy fabric by hand.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Also, most marine supply shops will carry sailmaker's sewing supplies; sailmaker's needles , palms, and thread.
You can also search <leather sewing needles> and <carpet sewing needles>.

Are you talking about just a needle (hand or machine?) that will sew through sacking? If so, a plain old denim needle will work fine. If you're talking about something that will handle that almost twine-sized thread they sew the sacks shut with, then for hand-stitching I'd look for a sewing awl. (like this: http://www.speedystitcher.com/products.html )
If it's for machine work, you probably want a size 18/110 ball-point needle.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Sheldon) says...

A sack needle has a unique design. The eye has a spring loaded slot on one side, so you can just grab twine off the skein and slip it into the needle without threading. The eye is flat and sharpened on one edge, so you can use the eye to cut the twine when you finish sewing the sack.
--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.