Gragage Floor Paint

a gragage what the heck is that?

try Ben Moore Porch and Floor Epoxy paint

Reply to
New Arty Boy

I'm researching floor paints for use in my Gragage. I have looked at 1 part and two part epoxy's, not sure which way to go. Looking reasonable cost and long life floor surface. The gragage floor is bare concrete.

Would apppreciate any suggestions or shared experiences.

Thanks

Reply to
Rick Slater

IMHO painting the floor looks great if you keep it clean, but its going to be work in the future, kinda like painting a picket fence, pain in the ass.

If you live where there is snow and ice and salt and gravel is used on the streets, that will speed up the maintance intervals.

Buy a good gas power washer(2500psi) and just keep it clean.

Tom

Reply to
tflfb

I disagree. Maintainance is no more than a recoat in a few years. If done properly it will last for years. I live in the snow belt and epoxy holds up very well. I warehouse I managed a few years ago had epoxy on the floor, daily use with forklifts did nothing more than scuff it up a bit. Floor paint, on the other hand, can be a problem. As for cleaning, any good degreaser, Simple Green for example, water,and a garage broom. My floor takes maybe 10-15 minutes to clean once the tools and toys are out of the way. No need for a pressure washer. It is many times easier to clean than bare concrete. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I have a two part epoxy on my garage floor. As far as I am concerned it is the only way to go. Follow the directions to the letter and it will turn out well. Consider the problem you will have if you use an inferior product, or skimp on the aplication. Some floor finishes take nothing less than sand blasting to remove them, so do it right! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

The maintenance interval will be significantly longer with 2 part epoxy paint, and probably good enough.

I live in "salt country" and I put down two coats of 2 part epoxy paint on my garage floor in 1997. Except for one small problem spot (brake fluid spill prior to the floor being painted), the floor's nowhere near needing any maintenance yet...I fully expect it to go at least a decade, and that's good enough for me.

For the OP, do your A/B mixes on the short side (especially your first mix), as its better to need to stop to mix a little more than to have extra paint mixed because it will harden in the bucket. Working thusly,

2 gallons should be able to put 2 coats on a 2 car garage floor.

A good idea on the 2nd coat is to throw in some of that traction grit stuff. Opinions vary on if its better to mix it in, or to disperse it by hand after the paint's been rolled onto the wet surface. I did a little of both.

If you have any left over after the 2nd coat has dried, hit your highest traffic areas with a 3rd coat and seal in the above grit.

-hh

Reply to
H. Huntzinger

I put in the two part epoxy in So California and found that hot car tires cause it to peel.

Reply to
Blue

Instead of Paint, or Epoxy Paint, wouldn't it be better to just use a acrylic sealer? Then when it starts wearing, you just seal it again, just like deck stain.

Paint will be nice for a while, but when it comes time to repaint? Or when it starts pealing and flaking? It will sooner or later.

Reply to
noway

Try going to

and look at thier 'HardNose Paint' line. Y ou can smash it with a hammer and it wont chip or crack. Ive used it. It has to be the most durable paint available and worth the money.

Dave

Have you hugged your A/C Tech today ?

HVAC fella

If done properly epoxy will not flake or peel off. No problem recoating either. For a garage floor nothing beats epoxy. There are many other products available, but none that I know of can beat epoxy for wear and adhesion. Most other prodution will wear through from road grime, or peel off. Greg

Reply to
Greg O