Grab bar for newly tiled shower

I'm planning to add a grab bar to a shower with porcelain tile. Tapcons are my choice of fastener. The question is should I drill a clearance hole in the tile or just tap through without a clearance hole. The tile is mounted on Durok over cbc block. Bill
FlaBill wrote:

I'm no expert, but I'd say yes on the clearance hole, and also coat the back of the grab bar flanges with RTV or use a rubber washer or something. It helps that this is a stiff wall, but any flex in the handle that presses bare metal against the tile surface seems like it would run the risk of cracking a tile.
But like I said, I'm no expert, other than a lifetime of breaking things that were supposed to be unbreakable. :^(
-- aem sends....