Grab bar for newly tiled shower

I'm planning to add a grab bar to a shower with porcelain tile. Tapcons are my choice of fastener. The question is should I drill a clearance hole in the tile or just tap through without a clearance hole. The tile is mounted on Durok over cbc block. Bill

Reply to
FlaBill

I'm no expert, but I'd say yes on the clearance hole, and also coat the back of the grab bar flanges with RTV or use a rubber washer or something. It helps that this is a stiff wall, but any flex in the handle that presses bare metal against the tile surface seems like it would run the risk of cracking a tile.

But like I said, I'm no expert, other than a lifetime of breaking things that were supposed to be unbreakable. :^(

-- aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers