Govt owes preppers apology

That's very well worded. I'm going to forward that to all my lists. This is a long article, but he really lays out the facts about preppers vs sheeple and govt.-

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:6t7ms.66881$ snipped-for-privacy@fed02.iad:

The survivalists are crazy, but that doesn't mean one shouldn't be prepared. Preferably with generators or other means of light and heat, food and water. In addition, preparation should include having your dwelling in places protected from the elements, natural and human.

Reply to
Han

FEMA should get the hell out of the way and let the big retailers bring in the food and water. They have the infrastructure and the actual food and water fresh in their supply chain. If FEMA has it, it probably was left over from the stuff they ordered after the Katrina debacle.

Reply to
gfretwell

There you go, believing the government owes you something. You're part of the problem, not the solution.

Reply to
Kronos

They collect 20-30% of your effing salary, of course they owe you something -- a LOT, in fact. The real Q is What and How Much. And, of course, to whom.

Altho, I'm increasingly Preppie.... I mean, Prepper. Ahm thinkin, if every house had a sprinkler system, we wouldn't need fire depts, where 3/4 of the high-salaried time is spent cooking, lifting weights, and polishing knobs... I mean, big red fire engines.

If all tax paying citizens with clean records had guns (gummint supplied?? lol), we wouldn't need police depts, either. Mebbe a few detectives, just to make sure citizen-applied justice -- I mean, self-defense -- was really self-defense.... lol

NYC's budget for the police/fire dept exceeds the GDP of quite a few nations, and proly the entire budget of some US states.

Reply to
Existential Angst

Yup: sheeple with their asscheeks spread, the typical oh-so chic Manhattanite. The Preppies were right..... I think I'll have to add misc.survivalism to my ng list.

'course, ultimately it proly won't matter much. Since we are fundamentally politically ignerint/impotent, we're going to get our asses handed to us sooner or later. Preppers might hang on by another cupla weeks/months, but unless you got one of them old missile silos, it's proly all moot.

But, Moi is prepping nevertheless-- gasoline stash, generators, inverters, etc. Shit is just getting to be too fukn weird, and ahm 20 min. from Wall Street -- which is in fact the geometric center of the Universe. But NOT a good place to be if the shit really hits the fan.

Reply to
Existential Angst

I think you have it backwards.

I'm a constitutionalist, and a prepper.

.

There you go, believing the government owes you something. You're part of the problem, not the solution.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Check you'll likely find that the cost of taxes for fire protection is off set to a large degree in reduced insurance cost.

Reply to
NotMe

Why don't you idiots take the home repair group off of your little spam circle first. This is a home repair newsgroup, and if people want to read about survivalism, they can go to the appropriate group.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

It was appropriate for a while, due to the ammount of home repairing going on, in NYC. But, that time has passed.

Christopher Idiot Young Learn more about spam circles

.

Why don't you idiots take the home repair group off of your little spam circle first. This is a home repair newsgroup, and if people want to read about survivalism, they can go to the appropriate group.

Jon

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

First, this is not a spam circle.... WTF is your problem(s)???.

Second, if you look past your nose, prepping etc is in part intimately involved with home repair, design. Just as one example, you can re-design the function of your leader/gutter system to fill *multiple* 55 gal drums of water, which actually serves multiple purposes, besides prepping: water conservation, lawn watering, etc.

HOW this can be practically accomplished is immediately clear, however.

Getting off the power grid is itself a perfect amalgam of home-moaning/improvement/repair and prepping. So give it a break, already.

Reply to
Existential Angst

Er, no. Transfer payments go to those who don't HAVE a salary.

You paint with too broad a brush. Eighty-five percent of firefighters are volunteers.

Here's an interesting concept: The courts have held that at least one constitutional right must be supplied by the government! If you cannot afford a lawyer, the state must provide one at no cost to you.

That said, I'm of the opinion that, in the name of consistency, that the government should supply a firearm to all those who cannot afford one! Well, at least one to each household.

Here's where private enterprise can step in. What if an apartment house billed its offerings as "... complete with washer, dryer, cable TV, and one Glock 17 per unit..."?

And NYC is a generally safe place. 'Course some credit the philosophy of Guiliana rather than the sheer numbers of cops and firefighters...

Even so, I'll bet there are FAR MORE private "security guards" in NYC than cops.

Reply to
HeyBub

Because much, if not most, "prepping" involves modifications and enhancements to the home.

Reply to
HeyBub

And even the full times guys do some maintenance on their trucks, do inspections and other things in their response area to plan for any problems, do outreach like school kid tours, all sorts of stuff.

\
Reply to
Kurt Ullman