Gotta get them squirrels

Page 2 of 2
I hope you have plenty of exhaust fumes in the trunk?
I've been putting it in the trunk with newspaper on the floor and a towel over the trap. I sure as hell don't want it in the passenger compartment!
wrote in alt.home.repair:

Well, I don't know, I've never ridden back there myself, and nobody I've ever stuffed back there before has complained.
The squirrel survived the trip and seemed to have lost none of it's vim or vigor. As soon as I raised the trap's doorstop, it took off like a bullet.

I wonder if city squirrels are smarter than suburban or country ones. The ones here (City) run along the phone wires and other wires.
alt.home.repair:

Hmmm... I'd hate to count on that and then find out I was wrong. I'll stick to the trap until I get more desperate.
(snip)

I've been lurking here for years and finally someone asked a question I know a little about. I battled squirrels in the attic starting in the spring, through the summer, and finally got them out in the fall. They are destructive, tenacious, and noisy. And dirty. And they have fleas. Nothing you didn't already know.
Here's how I got rid of mine:
Lights on 24/7.
Radio on an annoying channel, loud, 24/7.
Socks filled with moth balls pitched as close as you can get them to their hideout.
A few bug bombs.
The purpose of all this is to make them as uncomfortable as possible, they'll be easier to get out.
Set the bug bombs off at night-they will leave the attic at dawn to forage, that's when you cover the hole they've made in your house. It has to be done as soon as you know they're out, you should be able to tell by the quiet-they make a lot of noise leaving-then nothing.
If you don't get the hole covered they'll be right back after breakfast. You have to use metal-they'll go through just about anything else.
It worked for me, good luck!
jonhenri
Didn't I read about you in the detroit free press? First man in Nevada to have a family of Pakistanis move in, set up a 7-11 on the second floor of a man's house?
I've been lurking here for years and finally someone asked a question I know a little about. I battled squirrels in the attic starting in the spring, through the summer, and finally got them out in the fall. They are destructive, tenacious, and noisy. And dirty. And they have fleas. Nothing you didn't already know.
Here's how I got rid of mine:
Lights on 24/7.
Radio on an annoying channel, loud, 24/7.
On Jan 19, 4:44pm, "Stormin Mormon"

I thought Jon Henri was a steel driving man. I seem to remember a song about that.
-C-

That might also get rid of your wife.
-- Steven L.

know
summer,
I didn't realize how dirty until one was trapped in my house for a week. I came back home, went to take a leak and saw that the rim of the toilet bowl was covered with dirt. "Who would break into my house to stand on the toilet bowl rim with very dirty shoes?" I thought to myself. It was a very dirty squirrel drinking from the bowl several times a day. When I used to knock them out to transport them I discovered that many of the older squirrels were crawling with fleas, lice, ticks and other nasties. It was a factor in my decision to stop transporting them to the park five miles away. You can determine their age by the stripes on their tails. The have a stripe for every year - never seen more than three. Maybe that's how military stripes got their start.

That would me ME more uncomfortable than the squirrels. It might make them more pliant for interrogation, though. (-:

forage,
done
They'll leave to forage on most above freezing days without the rock music show, I think.

You
On this we agree 100%. I was surprised by how thick a gauge metal it takes to stop them. Chicken wire merely slows them down a bit.
-- Bobby G.

As a housing inspector, I see what works, and what qualifies as "best wrong idea". The person that seemed to get the job done best is an employee of a major shipping company. He had tried several of the things, and I had mentioned putting a lights up in the attic.
He carried that to extremes, but it did the job.
He set up a clothes-line style pulley from one end of the attic to the other. He got a million-candlepower strobe (just can't imagine where he got that, all he has near his work is a major airport). He put it on the end farthest from the entry hole, made it 'blink' once every fifteen seconds. And he slowly moved it a little at a time, over three days. End of that time, they were gone, he spritsed cheap man's aftershave around near the entry hole, and covered it with hardware cloth.
I've seen that someone is marketing something like that. It has two lights, no need for a pulley. Costs about $140.
Nil wrote:

Let me throw a new consideration into the mix.
Squirrels are game animals.
As such, there is a specific season in which they can be harvested; in my state the hunting season is from the first of October to early February. You'll also need a firearms safety course, a hunting license, orange vest, 20-guage shotgun, etc.
You may have to trap them first, then take them outside the city limits before you can shoot.
Check your local laws.
When squirrels gnaw through your wiring, insurance companies will often decline to restore the damage, citing the "vermin exception." Should this ever happen to you, you can come back with the "game animal" definition while asserting it would be against the law to kill them (during the time the damage occurred).
On 1/18/2012 7:08 PM, Nil wrote:

There are two or three methods that come to mind. These may not work for your situation, but you'll love the time spent seeing the methods:
These fine folks have made a life's work of squirrel proofing bird feeders: <http://www.drollyankees.com/hproducts/squirrel-proof-feeders-and-accessories.html?ItemidX Here is their top-of-line model:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
W9TG6Dcgg
This and others are a bit more manual and home made efforts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv5RICL4gIs

Here's the king of the hill: http://www.rodenator.com I do need to warn you that you may lose a bunch of time in utter fascination watching the videos at this site.
--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 20:08:53 -0500, Nil
[snip]

This may not be as quick as you'd like, but it's important.
When squrrels (or any other population of critters) has a robust food supply, their population will increase. When their population increases, the young ones have to find somewhere to live. As the neighborhood density increases, so do the fleas and diseases.
If the squirrels are finding bounty in the garbage cans, bird-feeders, pet food dishes, etc., it will likely become a problem, now, or in the future.
If you or your neighbors have fruit and/or nut trees, you have a permanent problem that will likely require, as one resoponder here put it, "sending back to their maker". It is solution that requires constant vigilance and effort.
If your release area is a good place for squirrels to live, then it will already be at capacity before you start dropping off your refugees. If it's not a good place for squirrels, the result will be much the same--they will go, or try to go someplace else.
Educate yourself and your neighbors first, then go after the particular situation you have with some 1/2" hardware cloth, applied from the outside.
--
croy

alt.home.repair:

Good points, all.
I've been living in this house over 20 years, and while the animals have been an occasional nuisance, mostly by wrecking my vegetable garden, this is the first time they've entered my house. They may have just finally gotten around to investigating the house and found a weak spot they could exploit, or maybe it's due to my next-door neighbors having removed several trees from their property. The trees may have harbored squirrel nests. The trees were taken down almost a year ago, but this is the first winter since then (I think.) I keep my garbage in a closed garage until pickup day, and the barrels are snapped closed. Not sure what most of my neighbors do, but I've never noticed any significant open garbage. No fruit/nut trees that I know of in the neighborhood.
I don't know why this has suddenly become a problem, or whether something in the environment has changed recently, or if the critters just finally got around to us.
Sounds like it's a better idea to put them down rather than relocate them. I don't relish doing that, but I can do it if I need to.
What does one do with dead squirrels? Throw them out with the trash? Bury them?
On 1/21/2012 6:07 PM, Nil wrote:

Are you serious? They're delicious.
http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/other/recipes/2005/10/online-exclusive-squirrel-recipes

hire someone to get them out of the attic, and secure your home so they cant get back in again
On 1/21/2012 7:24 PM, Bernt Berger wrote:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/other/recipes/2005/10/online-exclusive-squirrel-recipes
i let mine lay. something usually carries them off within a night or two.
--
Steve Barker