Gotta get them squirrels

These tips come from 5 years of trapping. They are a formidable enemy, but they have their weaknesses. Peanut butter seems to be "squirrel crack" - they just can't get enough. I probably never would have known to use only one trap door on the Havahart unless I had actually seen them "bolt thru" on camera. The peanut butter is so effective it's almost unfair to the little buggers. When I went to the two-cup method, my success rate just about doubled. Apparently grabbing the first "free" cup just inside the trap overwhelms their sense of fear and they usually circle the trap once and then go right down the chute.

If my experience is any guide, the next family won't move in until this one is long gone. The invade the fringes of each other's territory rather than pull "storm the castle" raids. Just when I think I've cleared the area, juvenile males from nearby areas begin to filter in, looking to stake a territory for themselves.

One you've removed the current family, keep the trap baited and ready for any straggler - and remember to check it every couple of days. Squirrels are like goats. They smell bad enough when they are alive but *really* bad after a little rotting sets in. I wouldn't use poison for that reason. The stink is pretty awful. DAMHIKT.

I would estimate that there were 10 times the number of squirrels that I thought there were. They have foraging patterns and they all work the fringes of other squirrel clan's territories. They are highly active on trash day because of all the spilled food and disturbed garbage cans. There are a lot more around that you can imagine, of that I am sure. (-:

That model Havahart takes a pretty big tank to immerse completely and the death is not slow or peaceful by any means. That's why I use a stun-gun. With an accurate first hit, there's not a sound or any thrashing at all. They go stiff and a few seconds later it's all over. You can get a serviceable unit for $25 on Amazon that had a flashlight built-in. I used to bag them tightly and use automobile starting fluid in a can (mostly ether) to knock them out and transfer them to a smaller holding cage I had for guinea pigs (it took ten minutes for the squirrel to chew through). My wife was afraid that the odd smell of ether would make our neighbors think we were running a meth lab, so that method was abandoned.

That's usually people's first reaction. There was a great article in the NY Times' gardening section that talked about how quickly that benevolent attitude can change. Destruction of a prized garden, demolishment of the interior of a house (one squirrel did thousands of $'s worth of damage after being trapped for a week when I was away) and in my case, chewing its way out of a wire cage and burlap to then climb onto my head during a relocation drive ended all such attempts. The article described former "tree huggers" and little old ladies whose attitudes changed mightily when something they loved was destroyed by rodents or other garden pests.

One time, I accidentally caught a possum and made the mistake of taking it inside the house in the trap. It spooged the floor with the nastiest green schmutz I've ever smelled. I no longer leave the traps out overnight. I had one raccoon try to drag the whole damn trap off the porch. This was the same raccoon that left a package of meat on my car. At first I thought someone was sending me a death threat (as in you're dead meat) but my neighbor said she had startled a raccoon raiding her trash and he was running off with huge load of meat that was freezer-burned.

Good luck. I don't know how you transport the little buggers but if it's in your car I recommend using the magnets to keep that U shaped lock wire down. I also suggest putting the entire trap inside a plastic bag since a large male squirrel can spray some pretty nasty and VERY persistent yuck in your car. The one thing you don't want is a panicked rodent running around inside your car while you're driving.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I didn't realize how dirty until one was trapped in my house for a week. I came back home, went to take a leak and saw that the rim of the toilet bowl was covered with dirt. "Who would break into my house to stand on the toilet bowl rim with very dirty shoes?" I thought to myself. It was a very dirty squirrel drinking from the bowl several times a day. When I used to knock them out to transport them I discovered that many of the older squirrels were crawling with fleas, lice, ticks and other nasties. It was a factor in my decision to stop transporting them to the park five miles away. You can determine their age by the stripes on their tails. The have a stripe for every year - never seen more than three. Maybe that's how military stripes got their start.

That would me ME more uncomfortable than the squirrels. It might make them more pliant for interrogation, though. (-:

They'll leave to forage on most above freezing days without the rock music show, I think.

On this we agree 100%. I was surprised by how thick a gauge metal it takes to stop them. Chicken wire merely slows them down a bit.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I thought Jon Henri was a steel driving man. I seem to remember a song about that.

-C-

Reply to
Country

As a housing inspector, I see what works, and what qualifies as "best wrong idea". The person that seemed to get the job done best is an employee of a major shipping company. He had tried several of the things, and I had mentioned putting a lights up in the attic.

He carried that to extremes, but it did the job.

He set up a clothes-line style pulley from one end of the attic to the other. He got a million-candlepower strobe (just can't imagine where he got that, all he has near his work is a major airport). He put it on the end farthest from the entry hole, made it 'blink' once every fifteen seconds. And he slowly moved it a little at a time, over three days. End of that time, they were gone, he spritsed cheap man's aftershave around near the entry hole, and covered it with hardware cloth.

I've seen that someone is marketing something like that. It has two lights, no need for a pulley. Costs about $140.

Reply to
Michael B

With any luck, environmentalists noticed the new species of white ass tree rat, and had that park declared a protected area. Massive funding for protection of the endangered species of W.A.T.R.

.

I'll tell ya up front....I caught and released ,mhmm maybe 180 live tree rats.

I used a live catcher trap. Caught them and released them as we went....

Peanutbutter set in the live catch trap. I caught over 160 TR's in two years.

I took them to a park place far from their home...Ah, but my son said....Pops, they're returning to where they came from..... Oh, no my son.. I have never had one return to my location.. How so? POPS?

Oh, it's simple... While in the live catch cage, I spray their little ass'es with white paint...Never, has a white ass returned to my yard.

So that's my answer...

If the tree rats wanted a chance, they should have gone somewhere else.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Actually happened to my son. Squirrel died in chimney liner. Took chimney guy and contractor to access and repair and cost him several hundred dollars. He had done nothing to poison them but squirrel had just gained entry, got stuck and died.

Years ago, we rented a house with drier in the basement and a rabbit got in the vent and died. It ruined the drier.

Important to keep these things out of your house.

I've had trouble with smell of dead mice inside the house when I use poison but in attic, with no vent to house, is not a problem.

Reply to
Frank

Let me throw a new consideration into the mix.

Squirrels are game animals.

As such, there is a specific season in which they can be harvested; in my state the hunting season is from the first of October to early February. You'll also need a firearms safety course, a hunting license, orange vest,

20-guage shotgun, etc.

You may have to trap them first, then take them outside the city limits before you can shoot.

Check your local laws.

When squirrels gnaw through your wiring, insurance companies will often decline to restore the damage, citing the "vermin exception." Should this ever happen to you, you can come back with the "game animal" definition while asserting it would be against the law to kill them (during the time the damage occurred).

Reply to
HeyBub

That might also get rid of your wife.

-- Steven L.

Reply to
Steven L.

On 19 Jan 2012, "Robert Green" wrote in alt.home.repair:

So... I caught another one last evening with my original bait scheme, peanut butter and bread, two-door setup. This one was BIG and pissed off - it growled and hissed at me as I carted it out. I took it to the middle of the nearby nature preserve. I didn't take the opportunity to spray its butt with paint like someone suggested, but I doubt it will be back. The area is surrounded by multilane highways and busy roads and is far enough away from other residential areas that I don't think it will bother anyone else, either. The thing will have to find a nest and food, or die.

Now there's still at least one more up there, I've heard it. I set the trap up like you suggested, with the "Judas cup" and cup of peanut butter that the closed end of a 1-door trap setup. A few peanut butter crackers nearby as chum. I was up there a little while ago and the chum had been taken and the Judas cup dragged out of the cage, but the trap was still open and the real bait undisturbed. I re-primed the Judas cup and will continue to wait. I'm learning to be patient.

I can imagine. I've gotten a better sense of how fast and strong and determined these things can be. Also, I remember a couple of years ago I accidentally left my back screen door open, and then closed it after a little while. After a half-hour or so I heard noises in the house and discovered that I had locked a squirrel had gotten in the house, and in that short time it had already chewed holes in the screens of all my open windows and was running around in a panic, knocking things of tables and such. I opened the door and chased it outside, but I hate to think what it would have done if it had been in there for any real length of time.

I've been putting it in the trunk with newspaper on the floor and a towel over the trap. I sure as hell don't want it in the passenger compartment!

Reply to
Nil

I hope you have plenty of exhaust fumes in the trunk?

.

I've been putting it in the trunk with newspaper on the floor and a towel over the trap. I sure as hell don't want it in the passenger compartment!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On 20 Jan 2012, "Stormin Mormon" wrote in alt.home.repair:

Well, I don't know, I've never ridden back there myself, and nobody I've ever stuffed back there before has complained.

The squirrel survived the trip and seemed to have lost none of it's vim or vigor. As soon as I raised the trap's doorstop, it took off like a bullet.

Reply to
Nil

There are two or three methods that come to mind. These may not work for your situation, but you'll love the time spent seeing the methods:

These fine folks have made a life's work of squirrel proofing bird feeders:

Here is their top-of-line model:

This and others are a bit more manual and home made efforts:
Here's the king of the hill:
do need to warn you that you may lose a bunch of time in utter fascination watching the videos at this site.

Reply to
DanG

[snip]

This may not be as quick as you'd like, but it's important.

When squrrels (or any other population of critters) has a robust food supply, their population will increase. When their population increases, the young ones have to find somewhere to live. As the neighborhood density increases, so do the fleas and diseases.

If the squirrels are finding bounty in the garbage cans, bird-feeders, pet food dishes, etc., it will likely become a problem, now, or in the future.

If you or your neighbors have fruit and/or nut trees, you have a permanent problem that will likely require, as one resoponder here put it, "sending back to their maker". It is solution that requires constant vigilance and effort.

If your release area is a good place for squirrels to live, then it will already be at capacity before you start dropping off your refugees. If it's not a good place for squirrels, the result will be much the same--they will go, or try to go someplace else.

Educate yourself and your neighbors first, then go after the particular situation you have with some 1/2" hardware cloth, applied from the outside.

Reply to
croy

On 21 Jan 2012, croy wrote in alt.home.repair:

Good points, all.

I've been living in this house over 20 years, and while the animals have been an occasional nuisance, mostly by wrecking my vegetable garden, this is the first time they've entered my house. They may have just finally gotten around to investigating the house and found a weak spot they could exploit, or maybe it's due to my next-door neighbors having removed several trees from their property. The trees may have harbored squirrel nests. The trees were taken down almost a year ago, but this is the first winter since then (I think.) I keep my garbage in a closed garage until pickup day, and the barrels are snapped closed. Not sure what most of my neighbors do, but I've never noticed any significant open garbage. No fruit/nut trees that I know of in the neighborhood.

I don't know why this has suddenly become a problem, or whether something in the environment has changed recently, or if the critters just finally got around to us.

Sounds like it's a better idea to put them down rather than relocate them. I don't relish doing that, but I can do it if I need to.

What does one do with dead squirrels? Throw them out with the trash? Bury them?

Reply to
Nil

Are you serious? They're delicious.

Bernt Berger

hire someone to get them out of the attic, and secure your home so they cant get back in again

Reply to
bob haller

i let mine lay. something usually carries them off within a night or two.

Reply to
Steve Barker