Got screwed by the AC repairman?

Page 2 of 2
That sure appears to be "a" leak, though maybe not the only one.
Metal caps don't necessarily need a washer, flare fittings are designed to fit tight without one.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Joseph Meehan wrote:

get out of the system it leaked out due to a problem(leak in the system)... he just added some freon to the system and it lasted the next year... if he wouuld corrected the leak then you would have been here complaining about the cost of taking the freon out, brazing the leak or putting a new valve on the system and then having to vacuum the system and then putting some more freon in it....
Did he screw you ? Probably not, so when was the last time you had your regular yearly checkup ,,,,,,,,
;; Answer ;;;;;; Never.... So wake up Dumb Ass, here it is ,,,, your maintenance and repair all in one , Bozo m a F tard
jriegle wrote:
(snip)

Could be that the cap has nothing to do with it.
As Joseph just said, but allow me to gently rephrase: You have a leak in your system, it's likely it was there the day the guy charged it, it sounds like he did absolutely nothing to tell you about it or try to fix it. He screwed you, but not in the way you think.
Fundamental AC rule: It's a *sealed* system. It does not need charged under normal conditions.
--
TP / Network Man __________________________________
If u want the races for free,

off the filler tube and solder it. Many have no service valves that can leak to atmospheric pressure. because of this, should they really be called sealed? John

In a word, yes.
- Robert

That cap you are bitching about? It is NOT there to seal anything in. Period. It is there to keep dirt from clogging the service port. It could be made of glass, rubber, plastic, or brass, as long as it kept dirt out of the service valve.
You fail to realize that you have a leak ELSEWHERE in the unit, hence your need for a slight recharge..something you should never need unless you have a leak.
OF course, its 27 years old..when was the last time you have had the coils serviced? Many techs overlook a dirty evap coil, or blower when charging, and then guyslike me that know what to look for, end up removing part of the charge later in the season, and cleaning the units.

For 2 years, I'd go out to a ladies house because she had a leak. It wasn't a regular schedule, just once or twice the first year and once the second year. I did everything to find the leak, pumping it down and putting 200 pounds of nitrogen on the line set and coil. I pulled the coil and sprayed it down with soap solution after using a borrowed H-10(The best electronic leak detector out there). I tried every trick in the book
I gave up. I told her that a nail had grazed the suction side of the line set inside a wall or something. I really didn't have a clue.
Then I took the gauge set off. It seems that the valve core was leaking slightly, just enough to drop the charge to being too low. I replaced the core and we were both happy.
That was almost 10 years ago. I still go out and service her equipment and she still asks about the valve core leak.

Sounds like you have a slow leak. I have a system that needs about 12oz of R22 every year. Nobody can find the leak, and it only seems to leak during the heating season!
Leak detectors, dye... none help.
You didn't lose R22 the first time without a leak. Sounds like the leak is still there. The issue is finding it, the cost of finding/repairing it vs to cost of recharging it vs the cost of a new unit.
gerry

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com

All HVAC are idiots. They are usually high school dropouts who, when faced with the choice of welfare or HVAC, chose HVAC since they could make more money ripping off customers while still doing the same amount of work had they been collecting welfare checks.

In general I agree, but I have a HVAC fellow who is a degreed mechanical engineer who I have personally observed design numerous rather novel heat transfer system. He just prefers the ability to operate his own business and be outside most of time. It makers me feel good as he pulls out a tattered pressure-enthalpy diagram when he charges my air conditioner.
RB
Markie wrote:

aw, come on: tell us what you really think.
Markie wrote:

Just because that's what you do, does not mean the rest of them are like you. Most are professional, know what they are doing and well worth what they receive. Like every profession, there are some who don't measure up, which is why everyone should check out anyone they hire.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
I don't agree. It is the small minority of scammers who give this and other service based industries a bad name. John

As for myself, I'm 41 years old, and have a two year college degree. I've not been unemployed for more than a week or so since the age of 19. I've also never collected government money in any form. Perhaps there are a few exceptions to your blanket statement?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Well, if the guy screwed you, he's probably gay. If you had fun, then you are gay too. If not, either find a woman, or admit the AC repairman was better than no sex at all.
Since this all happened late last summer, you are probably due to be screwed again. I'd call him back and tell him you want more !!!