Got rid of the d@mn moles...sort of

Just wanted to pass this on to folks who have trouble with moles. Our sidewalk was brick laid in sand, and periodically a few bricks---or a bunch of 'em--- would be heaved up by moles.

Four years ago I laid a new sidewalk, new pavers in sand. Before laying the pavers, I dug a trench a few inches deep down the middle of the sand, for its entire 60' length. Poured about two gallons of castor oil (supposedly repels moles) in that trench. Waited for it to be absorbed. Smoothed over the sand and placed the pavers. Since then there hasn't been a single paver heaved up by moles. Unfortunately the beasties still show up in other areas of the yard, but I don't really care as long as they don't mess up the sidewalk. And occasionally Shadow the cat finds one and plays with it....

Castor oil can be had from soapmaking suppliers. If memory serves I paid about $80 for a five-gallon bucket.

Hope this helps -- Terry

Reply to
prfesser

You may have lots of grubs. Treat the grubs and the moles will move on. Your lawn will look better too.

Reply to
Phisherman

you might try the Rodenator :

Eric in North TX

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1152993187.949970.271460@

35g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Neighboorhood had this issue. Houses against woods. All sand. Moles tearing up some pretty nice lawns. Someone dumps cat in neighborhood. Figure because cat was spraying (well yeahhhh, unneutered male). Cat very friendly. Great attitude but stinks bad. So I take it and get neutered. Of course stink goes away and we have a new one critter cleanup crew. He rids 4 yards of every mole. Only problem is he brought all the "kills" home to us. Again, their nature.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Phisherman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yes grubs are a delicacy for moles. Get rid of grubs and moles will go to other yards. But if not available nearby, moles will choose earthworms as well.

Grubs are delicacy of another animal considered a pest - skunk. People swear at skunks for digging. Let them dig. THey are doing youo a favor getting grubs. The mess they make can be raked over and grass will grow. The grubs left there will kill the roots of large grass areas, partial yards and entire yards if left untreated. That is permanent until replant.

Recommend "milky spore". Takes a year or so to take effect but can last a decade. It is all natural and spreads itself. When grubs eat it it crystalizes them. Decomposed grub is then all milky spores. Bit pricey at initial onset but avg over 10 yrs compared to bags of useless shit and it's dirt cheap.

Grubs go away, moles go away, skunks go away. Keep the cat though. Field mice can smell them. Take up residence elsewhere or become headless.

Initially read about it on a university extension service site.

Reply to
Al Bundy