got a DTV converter

Page 3 of 3
mm wrote:

I haven't played with one yet, but all that I've seen had an "F" connector for an antenna input, so you still need to add an antenna. It's not like WiFi where the microwave frequencies make the antenna small enough to hide in the dongle, it's still the regular OTA VHF/UHF so the antenna is a moderate size.
mm wrote:

Given that my DTV converter is bigger than my 2" LCD tv (forget the brand- not that it matters in that size range)- is anyone yet marketing similar sizes of digital TVs?
The ipods with screens are the only small video I see lately. Given how crappy reception is on the tiny TVs, not surprised most stores quit carrying them. (Mine was an impulse purchase from Sam's Club remainder rack- marked down to 20 from 70, about 2 years ago.)
If anyone has one of the old Commodore 64 color monitors with integral sound, you should be able to plug your DTV converter box directly into that, for a no-fuss solution. Look in the basement and see.
aem sends...
aem sends...
wrote:>>>> I have a duplex outlet on my patio.

How are you going to get the output signal of the DTV converter into the 2" LCD TV? Does the LCD TV have an ext. antenna input?

I doubt it;the converter circuits are about the size of a large paperback book.You could get a 12v LCD monitor and feed the video from the DTV converter into it,and have a small audio amp for sound.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Jim:
Thanks for all the good info. I lived in Ft Pierce during high school and got my bachelors at UF Gainesville before moving back north. Weather looks like you might be having power outages right now - on Friday.
I went to the official US gov site " www.dtv2009.gov" where they list all places within X miles that have convertors. Will have to keep trying, or go to my local WM.
Thanks again.
Bob H
On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 19:30:56 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

Well, places that participate in the 40 dollar coupon program.
And even then they list a bunch of BEst Buys around here, but not the one that is closest to me. I'll betcha the one not listed still has them.

Heh,my paperwork didn't list the closer Best Buys either.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

There was an article in EE Times a couple weeks ago about a solid state DTV tuner that will get rid of that little silver can we have now. This will make the tuner/converter more like the size of an Ipod or smaller. For now I will just be happy if I can get one that will run on some low voltage DC (batteries when the power is off) so I can use the portable TV during a storm. I haven't looked at it but I understand one of our local stations runs "all radar all the time" on one of the digital channels. When I get my converter that will replace the feed to the TV I have out by the pool, that is on cable weather radar all the time now.
On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 12:48:19 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I'm sure. While I'm looking for more entertainment, only 3 of the stations in BAlt and DC currently have any. A fox station has one other station not weather, a pbs has 3 or 4 stations and one other stations has one
The rest just have Weather TV.
If you want to know what you might get, go to
www.zap2it.com and enter your zipcode and Broadcast Stations, when it asks for it, and it will show you what all the digital stations have scheduled.
You can also have preferences for this site, to give only the stations you are interested in, either listed above the other ones or to the exclusion of the other ones.
This might decide for some whehter to get a converter or tv now, or wait until later.

If you're out by t he pool, can't you tell what the weather is? :)

Do the new converter boxes have channel tuners in them? The commodore monitors do not. How would you change channels? I always ran mine through a vcr with a channel tuner then I routed to the monitor.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Have any advice on best little battery operated TV to buy that gets digital TV signals?

Those "secondary" subchannels are High Definition broadcasts.
On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 06:20:18 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I have a recollection that the broadcasters had a choice with their new frequencies: 1) High Def on one channel, or 2) Multiple channels in the space of one channel. And if they chose option 2, the signals were not in hi-def. Although they would be clearer because they were digital (no static, no ghosts). Am I wrong?

No,they aren't. The subchannels are able to be aired because they compress several standard-def digital channels to transmit in the HD bandwidth.

2) Multiple channels of standard def.

You are right.
--
Jim Yanik