got a DTV converter

Page 2 of 3

canada will still be analog
On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 15:16:55 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Thanks. They have channels 2 to 86 also? (I'm not actually sure the US goes up to 86. It was supposed to at one point, but I think they stop in the 70's or something.)
They ought to come down here and buy truckloads of used analog tvs and resell them in Canada. I wonder if there is a way to make money doing that. If I see a Canadian truck, I'll give it to the driver.

Trade them for shower heads and toilets.
On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 10:12:54 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

When other were trying to save water, I bought a bigger shower head right after I bought my house, in 1983. Now I almost never use the shower, but I saved the old head and when I move I'll put it back on and take the good one with me.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Canada is switching too, just not as soon. With so much of their population so close to US border and watching US stations on a regular basis, and vice-versa in US border areas, they pretty much have to be compatible in order to keep selling ads.
aem sends...

What about Peru?

The US used to go up to 83 (not 86), but it has been limited to 69 for 20 years or do. They're supposed to be lowering the limit even more now, I forget how far.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

No wonder I don't know.. I stopped paying attention to most things about 20 years ago.

Wait a second. Are you saying there will still be UHF stations after the digital conversion? With TV on them?

Yes there will. They are using (part of) the same frequency band for digital as was used for analog.
Also, according to the official website, this law DOES NOT affect low power and translator stations.
Here is a list of the network channels I get here, and the digital broadcast channels:
ABC analog=7 digital CBS analog digital CW analog8 digital8* Fox analogQ digital1 NBC analogX digital"
* - According to antennaweb.org, CW will switch to digital broadcasting on Feb 17 2009, using the same channel. The other channels broadcast digital already.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Mark Lloyd wrote:

Already been done. The first restriction was when they gave away the area between 800 and 890 MHz. The second was when they sold 700-800 MHz.
--
If only there was a Republican running for President of the United States.

700-800 MHz corresponds to channels 52-69, which sounds like what I remember. However, that range is still in use for TV. The NBC station here is broadcasting on channel 56. The digital version of that is on channel 22, well outside that range.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Mark Lloyd wrote:

Yeah, in the Chicago area we still supposedly have 54, 56, 60, 61, 62 and 66 on the air on analog.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WJYS for the lists near the bottom, for those who spotted the three adjacent analog channels.
--
If only there was a Republican running for President of the United States.

In Baltimore, we definitely have 54 and 67 on the air in analog. Same as the 25 years I've been here.

[snip]

Low power and translator stations aren't affected by the law. Maybe someone who lives close to one of those.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 08:14:14 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Those who have limited money, and no need for a digital tuner. I know several people in that situation.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 16:37:00 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I would like a battery operated DTV converter so that I can use my 2" tv.

check here; http://www.freelabs.com/~whitis/electronics/dtv_converters /
I saw two listed;9v and 12v.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

tell them you can't see their political ads ;-) also, they want that radio frequency auction money NOW!
batt op? easy, most computer stores have ATSC usb sticks for less than the converter box. of course the congress critters won't let you use your $40 coupons for those. we've been using tv cards in the computers the past 5 years. everyone around here wants to watch their own program anyways, wonder how long the tv will exist as a standalone.
-- larry / dallas

So these things work! I figured the antenna would be too small or something.
What about the DVR software that comes with them? Does that work too?
If one went away on vacation for 2 weeks and wanted to record one daytime hour every weekday and 3 or 4 hours per week at night, which is about 18 hours total, wouldn't I need a humongous harddrive to hold all that? (Plus everything else I have on my harddrive, of course.)
My friend maybe not, but I'd also want to be able to watch the TV program full screen on one monitor while doing my computer stuff on an other monitor full screen. Hard to do?
What brand(s) do you recommend?

Exactly. Some FAQ of their said they didn't want to pay for upgrading, only to keep current. But for my regular tv, the only reason I would now buy a digital dvd recorder, for example, is to keep current, since I already have a vcr and it's all I needed, and they would still only be paying 40 dollars. So now I'll probably buy a 50 dollar box and eventually buy that DVD recorder, paying the full price myself, and never use the box again that they chipped in 40 dollars on.