got a DTV converter

I received my 2 vouchers for the DTV-analog converters today,and went to Wal-Mart and bought one. After using the voucher,it cost me $13 including tax. Overall,I'm satisfied;I lost Ch.2(NBC),but gained other channels I could not receive,and got a excellent picture on all channels that have sufficient signal strength.I'm going to try to find a better amplified indoor antenna and see if that doesn't get me Ch.2 back. Setup of the converter was not difficult.It's interesting that there are sub-channels for many of the stations,like 24.1,.2,.3,etc.,with different programming. One thing is that the remote control for the converter is kinda funky;the channel up/down buttons are very small and the large L/R/up/down 'cursor' buttons only work for setup menus. It's possible to use a universal remote with this model.(Magnavox TB100MW9) My converter is not one that passes thru analog TV signals. I'm also going to shop around for one of the converters that DO pass thru the analog TV signals.(the list supplied has asterisks for those models)

Does anyone have any suggestions for a small DTV antenna suitable for apartment use,perhaps one that can be put outside on the balcony without attracting undue notice?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Where do you live?? In the Chicago area no one has the convertors yet as far as I can find out.

Reply to
hrhofmann

alt.tv.tech.hdtv has a number of discussions on the converter boxes and antennas

Reply to
Pete C.

My coupons showed up yesterday, and I ended up buying the Wally World Magnavox-branded ones as well. For ten bucks each, plus tax, I'm happy. I had similar problems losing the lowest channel, 3 around here. But I have a year to figure it out- probably replace the weather-beaten missing-elements roof antenna. If your TV has aux inputs, just split the incoming antenna wire, and feed the signal that way. That is what I did on bedroom TV. On living room TV, I have multiple sources anyway, and just fed the converter into the mechanical switch box. Best Buy only had Insignia brand, for 20 bucks over the coupon, in a big clunky box. Since their sales droid pissed me off as usual, I decided to go across the street, and saved 10 bucks a unit besides, for a smaller better looking box. (Yeah, I know, they all probably come from the same factory in China and have identical guts.)

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I'm using of of these indoors, and it works well for me.

Tony Sivori

Well they couldn't be exactly the same since some have analog pass-through, and some have some sort of built-in tvguide, and there may be other options.... well come to think of it they might all have the same chip but only use some of the outputs.

Thanks Jim for the original post. I've been wondering about this. They talked on C-span about analog pass-through as something only people watching those local and relay channels would use, and didn't say a thing about the year hetween now and then. I'm in Baltimore and can receive most of the DC stations now. I'm not sure I'll be able to on digital. I guess because WAMU radio says that its digital signal is onlyh about 1/10th the strength of it's analog signal. I know that's radio, but I think the reason they do it is the same, that one doesn't need such a strong signal with digital. Is that true for tv too? Becaus it will leave people in the fringe area with no reception. Is i

Reply to
mm

Do they have any that run on batteries?

Reply to
gfretwell

Those "secondary" subchannels are High Definition broadcasts.

Reply to
salty

"hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@59g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

Orlando.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I have a duplex outlet on my patio.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

They aren't all the same, though some units are the same with different names on them. If they look physically different they probably are.

has some threads discussing the various converter boxes and the differences between them.

Reply to
Pete C.

[...]

Have you tried Walmart?

Oh... That's right.

Chicago doesn't allow Walmarts.

Reply to
HeyBub

I have a recollection that the broadcasters had a choice with their new frequencies: 1) High Def on one channel, or 2) Multiple channels in the space of one channel. And if they chose option 2, the signals were not in hi-def. Although they would be clearer because they were digital (no static, no ghosts). Am I wrong?

Reply to
mm

I had one but had to send it back as it wasn't working for me

Reply to
me

mm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No,they aren't. The subchannels are able to be aired because they compress several standard-def digital channels to transmit in the HD bandwidth.

2) Multiple channels of standard def.

You are right.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Guess they don't have hurricanes in Orlando. That is when you need a battery operated TV

Reply to
gfretwell

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

or an inverter that runs on batteries.Or a generator.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I haven't received coupons yet but I wanted one to use with my battery operated TV - I am also in FL. Hope the kind of converter I buy will work with it. We have cable but it's basic cable without any boxes. Not sure yet but think we won't need converter boxes for the other TV sets.

Reply to
Dottie

Dottie wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@d62g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

check this site out;

they have a comparison chart.

the Digistream D2A1D10 runs on 9 VDC. Artec T3A 12 VDC/4W max. MicroGem MG2000 has a "DC input" Sansonic FT300A runs off a wallwart;it may be either low voltage DC or AC.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I would like a battery operated DTV converter so that I can use my 2" tv.

Reply to
mm