got a DTV converter

Page 1 of 3
I received my 2 vouchers for the DTV-analog converters today,and went to Wal-Mart and bought one. After using the voucher,it cost me $13 including tax. Overall,I'm satisfied;I lost Ch.2(NBC),but gained other channels I could not receive,and got a excellent picture on all channels that have sufficient signal strength.I'm going to try to find a better amplified indoor antenna and see if that doesn't get me Ch.2 back. Setup of the converter was not difficult.It's interesting that there are sub-channels for many of the stations,like 24.1,.2,.3,etc.,with different programming. One thing is that the remote control for the converter is kinda funky;the channel up/down buttons are very small and the large L/R/up/down 'cursor' buttons only work for setup menus. It's possible to use a universal remote with this model.(Magnavox TB100MW9) My converter is not one that passes thru analog TV signals. I'm also going to shop around for one of the converters that DO pass thru the analog TV signals.(the list supplied has asterisks for those models)
Does anyone have any suggestions for a small DTV antenna suitable for apartment use,perhaps one that can be put outside on the balcony without attracting undue notice?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Where do you live?? In the Chicago area no one has the convertors yet as far as I can find out.

Orlando.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

[...]
Have you tried Walmart?
Oh... That's right.
Chicago doesn't allow Walmarts.
Jim Yanik wrote:

alt.tv.tech.hdtv has a number of discussions on the converter boxes and antennas
Jim Yanik wrote:

My coupons showed up yesterday, and I ended up buying the Wally World Magnavox-branded ones as well. For ten bucks each, plus tax, I'm happy. I had similar problems losing the lowest channel, 3 around here. But I have a year to figure it out- probably replace the weather-beaten missing-elements roof antenna. If your TV has aux inputs, just split the incoming antenna wire, and feed the signal that way. That is what I did on bedroom TV. On living room TV, I have multiple sources anyway, and just fed the converter into the mechanical switch box. Best Buy only had Insignia brand, for 20 bucks over the coupon, in a big clunky box. Since their sales droid pissed me off as usual, I decided to go across the street, and saved 10 bucks a unit besides, for a smaller better looking box. (Yeah, I know, they all probably come from the same factory in China and have identical guts.)
aem sends...

Well they couldn't be exactly the same since some have analog pass-through, and some have some sort of built-in tvguide, and there may be other options.... well come to think of it they might all have the same chip but only use some of the outputs.
Thanks Jim for the original post. I've been wondering about this. They talked on C-span about analog pass-through as something only people watching those local and relay channels would use, and didn't say a thing about the year hetween now and then. I'm in Baltimore and can receive most of the DC stations now. I'm not sure I'll be able to on digital. I guess because WAMU radio says that its digital signal is onlyh about 1/10th the strength of it's analog signal. I know that's radio, but I think the reason they do it is the same, that one doesn't need such a strong signal with digital. Is that true for tv too? Becaus it will leave people in the fringe area with no reception. Is i

aemeijers wrote:

They aren't all the same, though some units are the same with different names on them. If they look physically different they probably are. http://www.avsforum.com has some threads discussing the various converter boxes and the differences between them.
Jim Yanik wrote:

I'm using of of these indoors, and it works well for me.
http://tinyurl.com/ypsskh
--
Tony Sivori

I had one but had to send it back as it wasn't working for me

Do they have any that run on batteries?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in wrote:

I have a duplex outlet on my patio.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Guess they don't have hurricanes in Orlando. That is when you need a battery operated TV
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in wrote:

or an inverter that runs on batteries.Or a generator.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I haven't received coupons yet but I wanted one to use with my battery operated TV - I am also in FL. Hope the kind of converter I buy will work with it. We have cable but it's basic cable without any boxes. Not sure yet but think we won't need converter boxes for the other TV sets.

check this site out; http://www.freelabs.com/~whitis/electronics/dtv_converters /
they have a comparison chart.
the Digistream D2A1D10 runs on 9 VDC. Artec T3A 12 VDC/4W max. MicroGem MG2000 has a "DC input" Sansonic FT300A runs off a wallwart;it may be either low voltage DC or AC.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Thanks, Jim, that us useful information. I have some inverters but I would be happy to have a converter that works with my little battery set if we are really in the storm. All of that inverter/generator stuff is nice for after the storm while you are waiting for FPL
I am guessing the manufacturers will have small digital sets some day but I am not in a hurry to buy one and eat their startup costs. I am really waiting to see where the whole TV market is heading before I buy much new. I still think there will be a huge IP based TV system on the internet ... as soon as they can get the business model and DRM problems worked out. The writer's strike was just the first battle
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Same here
I think sit changing in a big way soon..... probably to IPTV
On Mar 7, 1:40am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

All TV sets being manufactured for sale in the US must now have a digital tuner. This reqt started with the large screens sizes several years ago and worked it;s way down to even the small ones. Plus, even without the specific govt reqt, who would buy any set today that doesn't have a digital tuner. Current plan is for NTSC OTA to be turned off in less than a year.
I am

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 08:14:14 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

They may be made eearlier but they still are selling sets without digital tuners. Target had two models, just three weeks ago. Labeled on the shelf below the tv.

Good question. Maybe someone who plans a central converter box anyhow?
As to my 2 inch tv, it was a present and I've really never used it. So sad. Hoping to use it next month on the way to Texas.
Can I give it to someone elsewhere in America, north or south, where they still have analog? Is there an easy way to do this, other than going to Mexico? Obviously they don't watch enough tv in some of these countries and I'd like to help them watch more.