Gorilla glue

Page 1 of 2
What is the difference between "Super" Gorilla glue and "Regular"? Just more concentrated? Or a different formulation?
I usually run the other direction from much-hyped product, so got to wondering...
TIA
HB
On 9/3/2013 4:02 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

what does the person on the other end of the 800 # say when you call it?
On 9/3/2013 6:02 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

From the MSDS --
Gorilla Super Glue Product description: Ethyl Cyanoacrylate adhesive
It's just another brand of ordinary ol' cyanoacrylate that (probably) has some minor modifications they can claim credit for. I'd doubt it is any different functionally than any other, just as their polyurethane glue isn't fundamentally any different that any of the multitude of similar others on the market--it's just the brand name and advertising that made it known.
On 9/3/2013 7:38 PM, dpb wrote:

Wally World the other day had Gorilla tape and Gorilla wood glue. They're just spreading their name to other type adhesives. Original glue is a polyurethane.
On 9/3/2013 6:47 PM, Frank wrote:

That's what I had just posted....
On 9/3/2013 7:50 PM, dpb wrote:

Yes, just reinforcing your comment.
On Tuesday, September 3, 2013 4:38:01 PM UTC-7, dpb wrote:

Hey, thanks! I didn't know about the MSDS; just went & checked it out.
HB
On 9/3/2013 8:30 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Good MSDS's:
http://www.gorillatough.com/index.php?page=msds
Disclose all their product ingredients.

I have never found cyanoacrylate (super glue) to be worth buying. It's garbage. About the only thing it glues well, are people's fingers.
I'm told the medical profession uses super glue in some situations to repair wounds. It's not just for sticking fingers today.
Acetone "nail polish remover" is the solvent to unstick super glue.
On 9/4/2013 12:39 AM, snipped-for-privacy@toolshed.com wrote:

I heard, but don't know if it's actually factual, that a Nam MASH unit glued up some some tricky wounds with off the shelf Super Glue as they had no alternative... and had satisfactory results.
Far as the Gorilla stuff goes, I have no personal experience with it, but do remember reading it can be un reliable if not fresh.
Erik
mancave toolshed.com wrote:

Maybe you don't do the same things that everybody else does... It is useful for all sorts of temporary and lightweight gluing tasks, especially plastic (permanently). Gorilla Glue isn't for plastic, so it is a good complement to that. Uncoordinated people and people with little situational awareness might have trouble with superglue.
Just because it doesn't work for its advertised uses is hardly meaningful. It does not repair glass, but it's useful for temporarily fixing things to glass. The surfaces must be finely sanded or they must be like plastic that can be melted by the superglue. You can see vapor rising from it that will sting your eyes. Removing it from glass is easy with a scraper. But it damages plastic.
Hope that helps...
--

On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 5:30:00 AM UTC-7, John Doe wrote:

Whoa theyah, John Doe. Things SHOULD work for their advertised uses!
HB
It does not repair glass, but it's useful for

The non-super stuff is some kind of viscous liquid that is water activated. Swells, bubbles, and sticks amazingly well to wood. I've used it for chair repair, and also repair pews at church.
On 9/3/2013 7:38 PM, dpb wrote:

Higgs Boson <hypatia08 gmail.com> wrote:

It's super glue. It's a different animal.
By the way... Keeping superglue (and probably other glues) in the refrigerator will make it last infinitely longer than keeping it at room temperature. I have decades of experience using lots of superglue. Doesn't hurt to keep it out for one day, but return it to the refrigerator when not planning to use it. Otherwise you will end up with a hard unusable bottle of superglue within about two weeks.
--

> Just more concentrated? Or a different formulation?

On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 5:16:07 AM UTC-7, John Doe wrote:

Ay, chihuahua! I didn't have a clue. Tx for tip!
HB

On Wed, 4 Sep 2013 12:16:07 +0000 (UTC), John Doe

Hmmmm, maybe that would be a great way to glue all the food containers to the shelves in the fridge. That way the old lady wont keep eating and getting fatter and fatter!!! :)
Of course, dont tell her I said this, or she'll glue my beer cans to the shelves!!! :)
Just glue the door shut. Much faster and easier.
On 9/5/2013 4:00 AM, snipped-for-privacy@toolshed.com wrote:

The daddy was bigger! Whose your mama?

On Tuesday, September 3, 2013 7:02:04 PM UTC-4, Higgs Boson wrote:

"Regular" is polyurethane. "Super" is cyanoacrylate.