Google is not your friend

Page 3 of 4

Not so bad, the country of Greece is using google to look for pools for increasing property taxes in the thousands per homeowner, now thats where it can hurt, a re evaluation of value, but those images are often years old.

They're rarely more than a year old, at least what I've noticed when searching for something. But if there was a pool there, there's still a pool there in 99% of the cases. Greece checked into it because such things are self-reported, and something close to 100% of the pool owners forgot to report their pools.
I half-remember something about the income tax in Greece has a minimum threshold and when they started looking into it, because of the economy's meltdown, they were shocked to see how many doctors and lawyers were below that threshold. Doctors in tony sections of the city, where their office rent was more than the minimum threshold, were reporting that they were earning less than the rent.

Not around here. The GE satellite views of my house, well aren't. That makes them at least three years old (probably about that, since the earth moving has begun and there are a couple of houses in our development). OTOH, the street views clearly show our house.

Shocking!!
Just shocking, I tell ya!
HeyBub wrote the following:

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/long_island/Google-Earth-Used-To-Find-Unlicensed-Pools-20100801-apx

I suppose that Google is not your friend if you have some unreported property or building code violations.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

The guy with the dishwasher without the high loop had better watch out! "Quick, Maude, shut the drapes!"
On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 10:15:57 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

Dump some robotic fish in there and call it a water feature?

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/long_island/Google-Earth-Used-To-Find-Unlicensed-Pools-20100801-apx
Good for Riverhead's chief building inspector for finding their cheats and thieves! I wish other municipalities would use the simple technology at their fingertips for similar stings.
The Ranger

From the article: "A representative for Google said she did not know of any other community using Google Earth as it has been used in Riverhead. She did not respond to a question about whether Google has any concerns about how the town is using the service."
What a crock. I had 2/3 of my lawn turf removed. First I met with the contact from the water authority, so I could get the rebate money for taking out the turf.
The contact shows up with a google earth color 8x10 (?), then he measured the turf, said I would get a check in the mail and then left.

Water shortage or are lawns jes illegal in your town?
nb

Both.
Homes built since a few or more years ago cannot have a turf lawn in the front yard. Rock / desert style is now the norm.
..."Program saves billions of gallons
The Water Smart Landscape rebate program has helped the community upgrade more than 142 million square feet of lawn to water-efficient landscaping, saving the community billions of gallons of water."
<http://www.snwa.com/html/cons_wsl.html

Oren, please explain a little deeper. I, also took out the grass at two of my Vegas houses. Each time, they sent a rep who took pictures and measurements. The Google Earth feature can be useless in lots of cases.
We moved to Utah in 2007. The pictures on there right now are 2006. Before that, I wanted to go riding in this area, and Google Earthed the area around here. It was one of those images that is really fuzzy. Finally, about a year later, clear pictures were put up and one could see the roads. So, they posted 2006 imagery in 2008.
When I go to my houses in Vegas, I get imagery date of may 29, 2010. I guess they change the pictures a whole lot more there in Vegas than they do here in rural Utah.
How much per square foot did you get. IIRC, we got $1 per square foot.
Steve
On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 15:53:06 -0700, "Steve B"

Like I mentioned he came to measure the turf. That was the difference in area photos.
See:< http://www.snwa.com/html/cons_wsl.html

I'll have to look and see if my patio permitted roof is on the tax rolls or such.

Don't remember exactly. I was in the rebate range of dollars, mostly. The rebate went down at a certain square footage.
HeyBub wrote:

Still, you've got to wonder what would happen if:
A. You covered your pool-containing backyard with camouflage netting, or B. You erected a 20x30' silver tarp with a diving board drawn on it.
Regarding "A" above, what if you could find out when the Google camera is scheduled for your property. You'd only have to cover your pool for a relatively short period.
Or you could cover the pool during the day and confine yourself to nighttime pool-parties (unless the Google bird has a really big flash).
Jes thinkin' out loud...

I read a long time ago that towns were using planes to spot unpermitted pools, this is clearly a cheaper way to do it. I just was looking out a commerical airliner last week and could spot pools from two miles up easily.
dgk wrote:

Check this article on the spread of civilian unmanned aerial vehicles. http://volokh.com/2010/08/02/search-and-rescue-and-the-spread-of-uavs-through-civilian-uses/

The scary thing is going to be when the military starts surplussing theirs and the cops get them or they simply become a hobbyist item. I suppose there will be a thriving market in jammers that bring these things down

There is privacy, and there is evasion of rules & regulations. If you (knowingly or not) evade the "law", the consequences are yours. Find an island in the South Pacific and generate your own country.
--
Best regards
Han

There is also (at least in the US) a well-developed case law line that says there is no expectation of privacy in a public place. Thus (as an illustration) if the paparazzi can stand on the sidewalk and take a picture of you sunbathing, that is legal. However, they can't put a ladder on the same sidewalk and take pictures over your 10 foot high stone fence. Same basic principal here. If anyone in an airplane can see as they go overhead, there should be no expectation of privacy. (This is also why celebs lobby the FAA to make areas around their weddings, etc., no fly zones.)
and name it after the IRS.

Yes. The privacy I was referring to is the protection against paparazzi, and being able to do what I want on my own property. Then there is rules and regulations.
--
Best regards
Han

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/long_island/Google-Earth-Used-To-Find-Unlicensed-Pools-20100801-apx
Get ready for new housing codes, and massive inspections, proly costing the avg homeowner TENS of thousands of dollars, if not more, in fines as well as the cost of the work itself. Will be a boon for contracting, dats f'sure -- who will be "fee'd" to death, as well.
It's for your safety.
And when we roll over and acquiesce to DAT, we might as well just grab the nearest fallen tree branch, and fuck ourselves in the ass with THAT. Surgery will proly be cheaper and less painful than the Municipal Home Invasion.
--
EA