Google groups

Page 2 of 2

OE is a Windows component. You should be able to enable it under >set programs access and defaults>Microsoft Windows

Dunno. The OP seemed to show Vista, and then the OP said Windows XP Pro.

Business machine has XP and co is upgrading to Win 7. My home machine has Vista. IT guys in US could not figure out how to use my Vista machine to connect to XP remote desktop in UK. Typical Microsoft operating procedure to make money. Like trying to read a new MS Word document in their previous software. Compounded by IT guys in US don't even know those in UK. US uses employees and UK appears to be all contractors. Then there is the fredom to operate between the countries. Stuff is locked down for my US access whereas on remote desktop, I have more privleges. Makes for interesting work since computers are not my expertise and I'm continuing learning. Discussion has probably gone beyond usefulness for alt.home.repair ;)

Isn't it interesting how the armchair experts here know what is right for everyone? What is possible and isn't? I suspect most of them have never had to use a computer in a corporate environment that is controlled by the IT department. A good way for them to relate is to go try using a computer made available for public use in a place like a hotel or airport lounge. Hint: You can't just install a newsgroup reader of your choice. Nor can you add or subtract OS components. Even if it isn't locked out to prevent that directly which it almost always is, there is another nasty little issue. If you start mucking around with the OS or installing your own software which isn't allowed, what do you do when it conflicts with the software that is already there and now you can't do your job? You gonna call IT for help and fess up?

Well said.
Frank
Frank wrote:

OE was NEVER part of Internet Explorer; OE has nothing to do with IE. They are not related or connected in any way.
Outlook Express has a big brother, Outlook, which is a part of Microsoft Office.

They aren't? I thought both of them are Microsoft products?

Was that a generic reply?
If so, where is the newsreader for Windows 7 that I just purchased and installed last yr?

Doesn't come bundled with Windows 7. It is NOT part of the OS. That is why I asked if it was a generic reply.
And BTW, WLM sucks as a newsreader. A lot worse than OE.

Now working again.