Google groups

Page 1 of 2
Want to see if I can send from there and read to help understand their current mess.
On 8/9/2011 2:41 PM, Frank wrote:

One way street - you can readily post from there but not read there. They must know they're screwed up which means they are up to something.
Frank wrote:

Why ON EARTH would you want to do such a silly and meaningless thing?
On 8/9/2011 5:56 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Too much time on my hands. Also now, Google is back to normal. I have a dedicated business computer from a client in my house that I cannot put new programs on and often use Google groups. They are a PITA.
Frank wrote:

He didn't ask why you read and post to usenet.
He asked why do you use google's web-based interface to read and post to usenet.

It is not "normal" for anyone to use google's web-based interface to read and post to usenet.

So you don't have your own home computer? You have to use a "client's" computer at home? Doesn't your client want his computer returned to him? What will you do then?

Your client, or Google?
If you need (or if you'd like) to have admin-level privleges on that computer, look here:
http://www.pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd / Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor, Bootdisk / CD
That will allow you to reset or clear the admin password, allowing you to log in as the system's administrator, which will allow you to do anything you want with the computer.
On 8/10/2011 8:56 AM, Home Guy wrote:

Google is the PITA. As for computer, I'm expecting it will be shortly replaced and upgraded. Client is in another state far from here and server is in the UK. Had a complex computer situation a couple of weeks ago and upgrade will make it occur again. Somewhat bothersome but as I bill for time, it does not bother me. UK and US computer groups are not coordinated. Good for me, as at my age, keeps me on my toes ;)

Google groups are a bit of pain but they have a web api and they are free. Otherwise you need client software and if you're behind a corporate firewall it might not work anyway.
If google would just quit having these mysterious days long down times.........
jamesgangnc used improper usenet message composition style by unnecessarily full-quoting:

That web api is what makes it less ergonomic to use vs a real usenet client.

As has been mentioned many times in this and related threads, there are many no-cost usenet servers and client software. Google's web-based usenet interface does not have a cost advantage in this argument.

Which is a much more efficient and ergonomic way to experience usenet

If you're behind a corporate firewall, you should presumably be doing what your employer is paying you to do, instead of slacking off reading usenet, facebook, etc.

I'm glad. Google-groups is finally going down in flames, rotting within it's own dysfunctional corpse.
Hopefully the cloak of ignorance will be lifted from all of you using it and you will experience the dawn of a new age of usenet enlightenment.
The rest of us here will welcome you as you emerge from your dank, dark cave of google-groups and into the light as you experience usenet the way it was intended.

I afraid I really don't get this obssesive hatred of google's usenet api. It's not fancy but usenet is just text based posts anyway. It's web based and it's free. So one can use it anywhere there is web access. From any device. Sure it doesn't have a lot of functionality but if all one is after is to read usenet enties and occasionally reply to one it's fine.
Your fancy usenet reader isn't capable of collapsing quoted text? Perhaps you should get another one.

I agree. It's like the flame wars of saying you suck because you use a PC while I use a cool Apple. Or you suck because you still use Internet Explorer while I use Firefox.
I also strongly suspect that most of those slamming Google Groups never even used it. I use it and I've also used Outlook Express. IMO GG is superior. It also lets me access groups from anywhere. That let's me get to the newsgroups from a PC at an airport lounge or a hotel, where you can't install and set up a newsreader app.
Those wishing for it's demise are going to be disappointed. It's back up and running as of today. If you're reading this, there's the proof.

Home Guy's moniker says it all - he doesn't leave the house, so he has no need of accessing newsgroups from anything other than his blindingly fast, totally dialed in super computer. Good for him.
Frank wrote:

I'm trying to understand what exactly your (home) computer situation is, but your explanation has me scratching my head.
Normally here in north america, a consumer goes out to a retail store and buys a computer for home use (or for use in a small business being run out of your house). Much like you'd buy a toaster or coffee maker.
If we're talking about a "work-at-home" time of situation, where a client (or employer) is supplying a "special" computer for you to use, I would think that it's use would be heavily locked-down and limited to work-related functions. But in any case for non-work use at home you would have your own personal computer to surf the web, perform on-line banking / shopping, e-mail, etc.

Again, I'm not sure what you mean by "computer groups". I don't see how any sort of geographic distinction is relavent to this discussion as to why you're home computer use is limited or restricted by using a "client" computer.
Home Guy wrote:

My guess is that Frank means he has a company-owned computer and the computer has security features built-in that prevent him (or other employees with similar company-owned computers) from installing new programs. In other words, his company-owned computer will allow access to the Internet (or at least to most sites), but will not allow him to install a newsreader such as outlook etc. I don't know if that is what he means, but that is my guess.
RogerT wrote:

Well, I just can't relate to a situation of not owning my own computer(s) - and doing with it what I will. Something I've been doing since about 1983 with my first IBM PC, and ever since then building my own PC's from component parts.
PC's are cheap enough these days, used ones, even people throwing out 5-year-old P4 desktop systems because they don't know how to install a new hard drive or re-load the OS.
Frank wrote:

You don't HAVE to add any new programs. Your operating system CAME with a newsreader! All you've got to do is use it.

IE8?
Frank used improper usenet message composition style by unnecessarily full-quoting:

No you moron.
Outlook Express.
On 8/10/2011 7:32 PM, Home Guy wrote:

Gee, Homey, you got endearing ways.
I think they decoupled OE from IE and went to windows mail in Vista. I'm using IE8 on XP pro on the business machine.
Frank wrote:

XP had Outlook Express.
So again - what's your excuse for not using it?
On 8/10/2011 8:19 PM, Home Guy wrote:

Not set up on company machine but there is a folder with it there but it will not set up.
I did find it on remote desktop and it could be set up there but I only log in there when I have work to do there which is not that often so why bother? Besides OS and computer upgrades are imminent. This is not as big a deal as you're trying to make it.