Goodman Heat Pump

My heat pump is Goodman Model CPKE30-1B . I am looking for an online manual . Is it possible to know the age of the pump from the serial number ?

Does this unit also have a furnace , if not where do I look for it ? Pl. help .

Regards , Kam

Reply to
kam

Sounds to me like you need some help with your new home.

Goodman website is not all that hard to find.

The CPK is not listed but a but a PKC is. Serial numbers are generally worthless. Model numbers like you provided are better. The number you listed leads me to think it is a remote heat pump. The air handler could be in a closet, or in the attic. You probably will be better off call someone locally and paying for them to make ya a copy of the manual.

Reply to
SQLit

Yes, it's possible to tell the age of any unit from the serial number. Some are very obvious, but most are in code. Yes, Goodman sells a furnace, but I don't know why you'd want to connect one piece of junk to another piece of junk.

Reply to
Bob

looking for an online

the serial number ?

where do I look for it ?

I think you have about a 5-6 year old,2-1/2 ton, 10 seer split-system heat pump but I can't say for sure. I'd have to look it up and I am at home, not at work. Do you have an air-handler in the house? It should also have a model and serial #. It looks kind of like a furnace and could be in a closet somewhere or in the attic or basement. The first 2 digits of the serial # will be the year and the second 2 will be the month of manufacture on Goodman equipment. If you call Goodman in TX they can tell you if an extended warranty was purchased for your unit. They are transferable to a new owner for a minimal processing fee. You just have to write a letter naming the old owner who the unit was purchased by and then naming yourself as the new owner. You may have to show proof but I have never been asked for any on warranties I've processed for customers. I'm the office girl. Lots of posters to this group and especially alt.hvac like to trash Goodman products but truely I don't understand it. To me they really seem like the best bang for your buck and we do sell other brands. I'm in NJ so we are not big on heat pumps of any kind. Feel free to e-mail me if there's anything I can help you with. I don't look at this newsgroup everyday.

Kathy

Reply to
Kathy

"Kathy" wrote

My company LOVES them. We make a lot of money repairing them......constantly...

Seriously:

The main problem with Goodman (other than they are poorly made and look like crap after just a couple of years because they fade/rust out so bad) is that they will sell to any "Joe Blow" off the street. So you get some guy that knows how to solder pipes and hook up the electric and all of a sudden, you got AN INSTALLER!!! Most of the time these "installers" don't know what they are doing (other than hooking the electric up and soldering pipes). You can tell because you can see where they use plumming solder, no filte/driers are used (which probably means they never vacuumed the system out properly), units are set too close to the house (or other objects), and plenty of other "tell tale" signs that an unprofessional installed it. Of course when the homeowner asks "Why did the compressor crap out when it's only 2 years old???" you ask them who installed the unit and of course they don't remember. Then you suggest that they call the installer and have him fix it because it surely must be under warranty and they say "the guy won;t return my calls" or "he went out of business" or some other excuse.

Sure! Goodman can be installed properly and you can make it work the way it should for cheaper than other brands. But probably 75% of them don't last much past their warranty. At least most of the ones I have dealt with were probably better off being put out of their misery.

Maybe they will improve someday. But right now, my company will not install them. There are a few other brands that we feel the same way about. Even after our company warranty is up, we don't want our customers getting pissed at us for installing they are going to be unhappy with down the road.

I have a good friend that manages the distribution center in my area. He knows how I feel but he said he's not too worried because they keep flying out the door.

Now, to be honest: I have only dealt with the 12 SEER and lower units. I have never seen or worked on anything in their "High Efficiency" line.....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Kathy, I respect your loyalty to the company you work for, but the sad truth is, that just about everything Dr. Hardcrab says is true. I've had similar experiences.

Reply to
Bob

Reply to
Bubba

Kathy, The first two digits in the serial # are the year, just like you said. The next two digits are the WEEK, not the month. In my humble opinion, Goodman is a POS. I sell some but try to avoid it. A Lennox or Trane will outlast a Goodman by 5 years, on the average. Goodman units are LOUD too.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

"Bubba >" Don't listen to the Dr.

Vinyl or Aluminum?

;-]

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

SEER and lower units. I

"High Efficiency" line.....

The company I work for does mostly high-efficiency installations. Always on A/C we use 14 seer or higher unless the customer really needs to cheap out. For furnaces we install 92.6% efficiency or better, where ever we can. Some people can't have exhause pipes out the side of the building for different reasons and then we are forced to use lower efficiency units that are conventionally vented through a fluepipe. Goodman makes one of the few 95% efficient furnaces. It just started shipping recently.

Reply to
Kathy

Many of these forums are frequented by people who install this stuff - any HVAC manufacturer who will sell to anyone limits what installers can charge for their services. Don't blame these guys for being PO'd at Goodman - anyone that impacts my wallet negatively is not a friend of mine.

Yeah you have to get anything installed properly for it to function. Will probably install an Amana high efficiency tube burner furnace when I build - hey it is not a Goodman guys - ha ha ha. Gee wonder who really makes Amana.

Reply to
butch burton

What's keeping you from running the PVC through the roof?

hvacrmedic

Reply to
RP

Reply to
Rusht Limpalless

I don't know what that has to do with my question, but since you brought it up: My opinion is that your sentiment may be ok by you, but in the form of advice it's extremely careless. There is a hell of a lot more to a proper install than pipe dope. Besides being able to properly install everything there are set-up and testing --things that you probably don't have a clue how to perform and likely don't even have the equipment required to perform, and if that is the case then you've endangered the lives of your tenants. If it burns you have no fall-back protection. You'll be tried for manslaughter and be given plenty of time to ponder your error. Just something to keep in mind.

hvacrmedic

Reply to
RP

It's been said a thousand times:

HVAC is not rocket science, but there is a reason that almost all municipalities require a licenjse to do the work. It has nothing to do with trying to rip off the public (as you inferred in another post). As I stated before: I don't want to install something that a customer is going to be pissed at me for later on down the road.

If you can change a unit out, more power to you. Good luck on trying to get anything covered by a warranty if you can't provide a license......

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

It's going to cost you MORE for me to install it if YOU buy the equipment. I still get it cheaper than you can.

You sound like someone that doesn't have many friends anyway.

I wouldn't install an Amana, either........

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

"Kathy" wrote

A lot of companies that produces gas furnaces make a 95% (or better) furnace. Maybe not as cheap as a Goodman, but they got 'em.

Dr. Hardcrab

There are always going to be hacks and HVAC techs who do installs on nights and weekends after their day job. If someone lets them impact their price, then they don't know how much profit margin they need to survive. You can't get into a bidding war against them, because you can't win. Some of the best customers are people who can't get the installer to return their call. They tend to tell all their friends and neighbors that you were the one who saved them when their equipment failed.

Reply to
Bob

I sent you an email Kathy . Please respond if you had received it .

Regards , Kam

Reply to
kam

another thing: Go on eBay and type "Goodman heat pump" in the search.....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab