Goodman Furnaces: Any opinions?

I'm looking for any replies from people who have had experience with Goodman gas furnaces--good or bad. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
BOBS7
1) Goodman furnaces are "serviceable but nothing special". 2) "Contractor grade" 3) If you were selling your home soon, you might install one just so you could honestly say there was a new furnace. 4) More like a 7 year old Chevy than a 7 year old Toyota. At 7, the Chevy's a bottomless pit for repair money. At 7, the Toyota's like a 45 yr old man who's taken good care of himself all his life. Put money into the Toyota, shoot the Chevy.

Vague, nothing exciting.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

From a contractor's point of view, they are a cheap piece of crap. That being said, the installation is far more important than the brand. A google search will give you zillions of pages of different opinions on the equipment choices. A quality installer can install a Goodman that will out last and out perform a poorly installed Trane BUT he can't prevent the actual lower grade components from possible failure. Unless you're looking for the cheapest bid, keep looking.

- Robert

Reply to
American Mechanical

My "new" one's run for 2 winters (+1 1/2 summers for the AC) now, without a hitch. I'll give a lot of respect to the professionals who tell you that a great deal depends on the installation, I think mine was done rather well, both from the finished results and spending several "looking over the shoulder" hours while the crew was here working. Find yourself a dealer that's been around for about a hundred years, and go for it.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

PS: NEVER, ever, EVER trust an opinion on them from a dealer carry them. Anybody that doesn't is likely DEEPLY in bed with one or more of the "Big Boys", and they trash Goodman just as a reflex action. IOW: They don't sell it, they don't want you asking about it from them or anybody else.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

While I agree completely with your assessment of brand bashing, I feel that it doesn't apply to Goodman. There are many brands that I have one reason or another to dislike including the one I deal. It's just that after years of experience in the field, many find fault with Goodman. As I mentioned, that's not to say that with proper installation they will not last but that they are manufactured at a lower standard. i.e. the stack sequencer used for blower control.......

- Robert

Reply to
American Mechanical

BOBS7 posted for all of us....

Obviously you have not researched this before belching out your question. Search Google on this subject, it has been discussed ad nauseam. Google is your friend

Do I have to do the rest too?

Tekkie

Reply to
Tekkie

This is Turtle.

As I look back over a history of installing Goodman and 12 other brands of furnaces for the last 40 years or so, I then will now speak.

I don't have a problem with Goodman gas furnaces GMTH , GMNT, and GMT. Now I do have some reservations about GMP which are not sold anymore.

The three furnaces listed above are just middle of the road equipment and so is about 95% of all other model there is in all the other brands. So I have to just rate this OK and one of the boys.

Now Any furnace installed by a hack , Turkey, Dave, or very poor installer is the '' worst '' brand / model of furnace ever sold by man. This will include every brand know to man kind.

Now if any brand of furnace is installed by a real good installer , a professional , and installes it right per say the installation instructions. That brand or model is the best brand that a man can buy on this earth.

Anything else is of no importance.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Are you a dealer and do you sell goodman?

Reply to
PJx

I am a dealer, and have sold Goodman. I no longer offer Goodman, it's very available to me but I won't sell it.

- Robert

Reply to
American Mechanical

AMEN...I keep about 6 of those on EVERY truck... Complete, utter junk.

Heh... Goodman has no dealer network as such...none.

*I* personally USED to sell some Goodman, and the local rep for East Coast Supply here is trying to get me to sell Goodman...but WHY? I got my Trane price sheets today, and I can buy Trane for almost the same price...think on that for a bit... Now...given that, I repair more Goodman, (under warranty I might add, even though I dont sell them) than any other brand. 2 today alone.

They have an advantage...

literally, 4 parts on the truck and you have every defrost timer, IFC and and blower control every used, and 4 motors, you have the entire line covered. THAT alone tells me that corners are cut..and GOD HELP you if you hit a furnace case by accident, or have to drag it in a crawlspace...its crap for sheetmetal.

They are also, getting pretty good prices for scrap...

They are used often on apartment complexes that think they are getting a deal...and they are...since Goodman only has a 3% pricing structure, and I can buy 100 units of YORK equipment for a 25% pricing structure...(thats sarcasm)

I have actually had to convince builders, that we can install name brand (known name brands) for less than the Goodman guys can, by actually offering the job for free in the end...if we could not beat any installation they had in a Goodman quote, and do it better, and neaterthan any one they have seen. Needless to say...we have no problems with business...

Reply to
CBHVAC

What's a stack sequencer?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I don't have a Goodman furnace but I do have the Goodman outside air conditioner. I have had it about 12 years and have never had any problems with it.

Dorothy

Reply to
Dorot29701

A piece of shit...you want the truth.. Its a way to make a relay, out of crap.

Basically, nothing but a bi-metal strip that heats up when 24VAC is passed over it, and it snaps up and a small plastic pin pushes up another bi-metal strip, and it closes one leg of a 220VAC circuit... They fail on Goodmans so often that they dont even require that under warranty we return the bad ones..they just hand us another one...most of the time, all they want to know is, Is it Under Warranty? Yes, or no...

Reply to
CBHVAC

Yep, they're crap alright. The theory isn't all bad and they are used on many electric heat packages, it's the quality of the part used. It's advantage is the delay on and delay off caused by the heating of the bi-metal. That being said, it appears that Goodman has a company that supplies their sequencers that uses the employees that were fired from Taiwan toy manufacturers for poor workmanship.....

- Robert

Reply to
American Mechanical

The ones that are so bad, believe it or not, are Texas Instruments branded. The newones, are not much better, but they are a bit better. When in a real bind, or I have one that seems to eat them, I replace it with either a universal ICB, or a Coleman SS. Works fine..

Reply to
CBHVAC