Goodman A/C units

I have three bids on replacing my A/C unit. The lowest price is for a 16 Seer Goodman. My regular A/C repaig guy says Goodman is cheap and unreliable. Opinions?
My house is heated with oil hot water so a heat pump is not a solution at this time.
Also I have been to alt.hvac and have not commited enough sins justify going back there as a penance. :)
Dick
Goodman used to be a brand to avoid. They've really cleaned up their act and make a decent unit now. They use standard off-the-shelf parts, so they're easier and less expensive to repair. The guys that bad mouth them the worst are the guys trying to sell you the expensive exclusive brands.
I've heard very good things about them in recent years.

snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote in

I just put a 13 SEER 2.5T Goodman gas pack in. All I can say at this point is it works great.
They put it in beginning of June just before the 2 wk heat wave in NC. Was running 98 to 100+ for like 10 days straight. It kept the place cool at all times. Evern during the worst peaks of the hottest days it would shut off for short bursts, I keep it set at 77 so it floats from 76.9999 to 78.0001. 2x4 walls.
20+ degree differential during hottest part of day. Later in evening 25+ degree differential at times putting out 52 degrees! Doesn't stay on long then.
Did not get my elec bill for the period yet.
On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 21:00:50 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote:

hehehe. Got a little knockin over there, did ya? :-) Its simple. "A box is a box is a box". In other words, most of the equipment out there is all crap. None of it lasts any longer than another brand. It all depends on one thing. The installer. If you get a hack to install a Goodman you will have a piece of shit. If you get a hack to install a Carrier, Trane, Rheem etc., you will have a piece of shit. Its ALL in the install. That and maintaining it properly. Then get a 5 or 10 yr labor warranty and you are set for that amount of time. After that, when it breaks, toss it and get another. :-) Bubba
Bubba wrote:

The reason for that, of course, is that the engineers who design the equipment know what they're doing, while many installers are, as you say, "hacks."

Mostly true, but some hacks (in any trade) can be high priced too. Check out references.

a lifelong friend taught HVAC and recently retired.
he highly recommends goodman, we just got a ot a new furnace with air, working great.
goodman tends to use off the shelf components, which should be availble forever.
others like trane use OEM parts, so when trane says obsolete, theres no other source for parts

...and when Trane says $1M for this part only we make and costs ten bucks to manfactufre, those are your choices.
On Mon 07 Jul 2008 02:00:50p, Dick Adams told us...

We live in Phoenix, and had a Goodman A/C unit installed in our new home in December, 2006. It has performed flawlessly. With outside temps running between 110-115 in the summer, the unit has no problem maintaining 72 throughout the house.
--
Wayne Boatwright

I don't think any of us have. ;-)
On Jul 7, 5:00pm, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote:

I don't have any personal experience, but I have heard many times that Goodman is not desirable. I would avoid it.
On Tue 08 Jul 2008 05:00:12a, told us...

Goodman has improved considerably in recent years.
--
Wayne Boatwright
snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com wrote:

In other words, rumors and innuendo are good enough for you.
On Jul 7, 5:00pm, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote:

We just installed one. For what it's worth, the mechanicals inspector from the township said we made a good choice. (Our township inspectors are good guys and seem to really know their stuff.)
Cindy Hamilton
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

FWIW, ours has been running fine for about nine years.